Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Bluenose Meander: Stanfest

Just getting there is half the adventure. I have a word of advice for people operating attractions along winding hilly roads. If the sign marking your establishment is out front, the speed limit is 60 or higher, and I have forty foot motorhome or transport truck behind me I ain’t stopping. I may have liked to but it just isn’t safe. Unless you place your sign 1000 ft down the road I’ll not be visiting. And just because the locals know where you are doesn’t mean that I’m going to find you unless you make your signs large, bright, and clear. I’m watching the road for hazards, your sign has to be prominent or I just won’t catch it. I know that somewhere near Port Bickerton there is a Lighthouse Interpretive Centre and I passed the Goldsboro Mining Centre just as I rounded a corner with a large RV on my tail.

Naysayers to the contrary the Country Harbour Ferry had just arrived and was unloading as I approached and I drove almost straight on as the first vehicle on board, fare $5.50. The route along the Eastern Shore Coastline was winding, hilly, betimes rough but filled with thrilling views of the coastline. Pity there was little opportunity to pull over and admire the view. The Nova Scotia Government Highways Website describes the route as a good summer road. Not sure what that euphemism means but I’m working on it. The road down to Canso was in excellent shape and rated at 90 KM/Hr. The signs for Stanfest though not prominent got me to the acoustic campground where I was met by two fine local gentlemen who led me to my site. The main stage is a short walk distant. I had not expected to be needing to run my generator to operate the A/C unit because of heat. Who knew?

Walked up to register, and get my armband for the weekend. Made a tour of ‘downtown’ Canso. The public wharf on Water Street and the CO-OP Food and Hardware Store whose A/C was very welcome. Not a lot to see in Canso after you admire the views of the harbour. When I walked back and saw the line-up of vehicles trying to get in was thankful I came early. After getting an early supper settled in for an afternoon nap, it was rather warm.

Wandering around Canso I gleaned the following. The manager of the CO-OP which was heavily air conditioned was busily stocking 25 pallets of groceries that had just come in. The frozen goods first. Fishing here involves a limited lobster and crab season, Fall Shrimp and Tuna catch. Since the fish plant closed, employing 600, things have gone down hill, the Town went broke and was subsumed into the Municipality of Guysborough. The high school closed permanently this year and will be demolished. The gal at the Whitman House Museum graduated in a class of 12 and is planning to escape the Stanfest Crowd by camping in Cape Breton this weekend. She just started and learned more about the items in the house from me than I from her. The dozen flat irons on the stove in the kitchen were donations but looked a bit extreme. The three storey Post Office stands empty and for sale signs abound around town. When I got back to camp and saw the lineup to get in I was glad I came when I did.

Ricky Skaggs gave his audience a 3-hour show for their $51.00, I heard as much as I needed to from the sidelines. Spent my $10 in aid of the Canso Arena for the kick-off party sponsored in part by Molson’s with two bars in place. The crowd did not attend to listen to music and the stage set up in the middle of the space provided horrible acoustics. It was worthwhile seeing David Gunning up close. He’s as good looking and personable in person as he appears in pictures.

Walked up to be first in line for breakfast Friday Morning at the arena where the only other patrons were the early shift security staff from Black Belt Security, Sydney, NS one so young his face was still full of acne. Must ask how much training they get? [Precious little I was told, their only black belts hold up their black pants.] The coffee at $1.00 was forgettable but hot, the homefries could have been left in the deep-frier a little longer, powdered eggs, and brunt curled up bacon, total $8.00 tax included. I did get to update my tablet using their free Wi-Fi. Around 8:30 made my own coffee. I’m grateful for my generator and A/C. Went for a walk around 10:30 and found little open.

Things started happening around six when I walked over and picked up a ‘low chair’ for eight bucks so I could sit up front. Watching the huge screen get inflated and the stage crew get set up helped pass the time while I read Life of Pi.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge