Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Stan Robers Festival Day Two

Made my own breakfast at 8 once I was able to run my generator. Around 11 walked over to the nearest tent called Fox Island where Valdy was hosting a session called Alumni which included JP Cormier and two others. Don't remember hearing Valdy before certainly not live.

Went on to the Arena dubbed the Pourhouse Stage stopping on the way to pick up three David Gunning CD's. There David Gunning did a solo hour-long session. It was so hot and humid the water was running off him and he forgot the words to his own songs. While I was there updated my tablet. Walked down to the Queensport Stage where Mary Jane Lamond was a no-show. Jonathan Byrd from North Carolina, a Southern Baptist with a Jewish wife was paired with a trio playing modified Sufi from Iran. As the former declared, a different kind of country. Left early and came home to make a ham and tomato sandwich and drink some more water. Switched to my regular collapsing chair, dumped a few things and walked back to catch Dylan Guthro at Little Dover Stage. Seems only yesterday his father Bruce burst on the scene. Left after his half-hour gigue and walked over catch the Garnet Rogers hosted Troubadours session. Rogers was rather laid back and needed reminding he was host. Even forgot to turn on his guitar giving the sound man the willies. The grouping I caught the end of was just plain weird.

Trudged over to Fogarty's Cove Stage where David Gunning was again hosting something dubbed Singalongs. They played nothing I'd heard before so it was more like audience participation. Did not stay for the 5 PM session. People are already in place for the 7:00 PM Main Stage, and many seats are already in place. I'm opting to cool off, rest, have supper, and read my comix which are still live on the Tablet and sitting in front of the heat pump outflow to cool off. Thank goodness for my generator or I wouldn't be eating here.

Walked over to the site and ended up beside a couple form Austin Texas. Didn't get their names. The opening set didn't make an impression and the second group were the Iranian group I'd seen that afternoon who spent most of their set messing with their computer. Dave Gunning in his set reprised most of the numbers I'd already heard in the afternoon. The story of his dispute with the mint over the pennies pictured on his last CD is getting tiresome. JP Cormier played originals and did a fantastic instrumental set. I walked over and for the first time got an album autographed, by Dave Gunning. We were treated to an hour of Bobby Bare, at least 45 too much for me but....

We were told that several people ended up in hospital with heat sickness, I certainly saw one very burned and over-heated looking individual. I gave up and came home around 11:00.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge