Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Leaving Saint John

Seemingly Saint John is sad to see me depart as in honour of my last day here we are being treated to a monsoon. 

Sunday Morning made it to Trinity Anglican for 10:30 Service which saw the interim pastor absent and a guest speaker, a second year Seminarian giving the sermon. An integral part of the service is coffee in the Bennett Room, a social event that engendered noisy conviviality. Trinity has a failing Allan Electronic organ that contains transistors long out-dated by modern integrated circuits. When purchased to replace a pipe organ in need of repairs that pipe organ that still famously performs in Charlottetown, PEI could have been restored for the same price. Anyone who knows me understands what a tragedy I consider that to have been. I sat and chewed the fat with an amiable confederate.

In the afternoon attended a backyard BBQ at the home of a mutual friend. Met a gentleman with the surname Hebb who grew up on the Newcombville Rd in Wileville, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia. We had an interesting chat comparing memories.

In the evening went to Compline which was followed by tea at Tims. On our return ran into J-P, Jean-Paul, the pastor of Stonechurch and Trinity.

Monday was quiet occupied with making sure my engine battery is healthy and topping off my house batteries. Spent considerable time reading David Goss’s latest book on Saint John.

Made the unwise decision to have dinner at Lily Cafe here at Rockwood Park. Suffice to say I have resolved never to repeat the mistake.

Today, Tuesday finished the book on Saint John and am looking out at the rain. I’m glad I did those chores yesterday. There’s a small lake building outside my windows.

My friend and I broke bread together one last time and I retired for the night to the patter of rain. Overcast but only misting fog Wednesday Morning as I dumped my holding tanks before departing.

Gassed up in Sackville, the payment system at the pump malfunctioned, nothing new, fuel $1.17.9/L. The gang at the NS Welcome Centre were not welcoming but Jacob the piper in full tartan regalia is back to pipe travelers into Nova Scotia once more. The Halifax Chronicle no longer supplies complimentary papers.

At the Coboquid Pass was charged the $4.00 car rate and next stop was Masstown Market. A double scoop of Grapenut Ice Cream was $3.40. The raisin bread fresh from the oven. Loaded up on That Dutchman’s Gouda, Maple Syrup, Honey and a few preserves.

I left a foggy Saint John and after Moncton hit high winds. The windfarm at Tantramar Marsh was busy whirling away and has grown considerably. The Sun was out when I reached Elm River and the flies had arrived. I dozed in the afternoon sun and was attended by mosquitoes and silence otherwise overnight. I did not miss the noise from Irving’s trains.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge