Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Another Rainy Weekend

It would seem that we’ve done something to offend the Weather Gods.  I’ve lost track of the number of rainy weekends we’ve had but don’t think I have enough fingers to count them all.   On the other hand while I’m at work the sun seems to be able to shine quite well. 

 

Things may not look much different at your end but here I’m working at the console of a brand new Logitech Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.  Guess I’ve moved into the 21st Century.  This to go with the brand new console I picked up after work on Friday.  I’m now the proud possessor of 2 Gigabytes of memory and enough hard drive space to write entire libraries of books.  The last two days have been occupied with loading in software, configuring programmes, rescanning data and debugging Windows—I stuck with XP; I’ll give Bill some more time to get the glitches out of Vista or it’s successor, but with a 256 RAM Video Card I’m ready.  Also got a 5-channel sound card but gagged at the price of the speakers that will go with it—nearly half the cost of the new console.  The old console sits on my living room table dejected.  When I find time I’ll probably move it upstairs and finally see if my TV can actually display computer graphics.  It would be cool to be able to write a letter while I’m watching a movie. 

 

The corporate world never ceases to amaze me.  How does one get a virus in a closed network?  I was aware that it was possible but a computer actually had a hard drive destroyed this week.  The drive wasn’t even formatted when the malicious invader was finished.  Oh well, it provided work for me. 

 

I’m still cogitating over buying the new sound system.  For the moment I’m still using my 7-year old IBM speakers.  They’re the one component of my original system that has always provided good service. 

 

Well excuse me, the sun just came out.  As witness to the triumph of the human spirit over adversity on the web I came upon the story of Kyle Maynard, a lad born with out arms or legs below the elbows and knees.  He wrestles, practices martial arts, played football, and is going to University.  You’ll find him on youTube, Wikapedia, and in bookstores as the author of No Excuses.

 

I still own the original CD-ROM’s that most of my software came on, but anyone who has installed a new piece of hardware lately has learned that even if it’s brand new on the market there’s probably a new driver or firmware online that will need to be downloaded.  Therefore most of the software I’ve been installing came from the files on my backup disk.  Now I have to find the installation keys for all the programmes I’m still running as “trialware”.  Searching through papers 7 years old or stored E-mails equally old is a pain.  Oh well, there’s always something else that needs to be tweaked, updated or added.  Guess it’s what makes computers such fun. 

 

Next week is a four-day week followed by a four-day weekend.  Somehow I’d love to give next Tuesday a miss.  Have a soulful Holy Week you-all. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge