Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, April 30, 2007

My Week in Review.doc

“It’s not the cough that carries you off—but the coffin they carries you off in.”  That being said the whistling cough that is still lingering on after my unwelcome viral guest is certainly trying.  The sinuses are improving though. 

 

Ate out twice this week at the Niblick Pub at Upper Oakville Plaza and at the Swiss Chalet opposite the Oakville Go Station.  The latter was quite busy on Friday at noon though I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would attempt to have dinner with 6 preschoolers!  

 

Boris Yeltsin died this week and Friday we lost a fellow Russian Mstislav Rostropovich.  Thirty Years ago I saw him perform on the occasion of his 50th Birthday at Royal Festival Hall, London.  It would seem that history will not be overly kind to Yeltsin though he did manage a unique feat in Russian political history by dying of old age in his bed. 

 

Midweek I managed to sleep in an hour and a half barely waking up for my start time.  I’m blaming the gentle music programmed on the classical station my clock radio is tuned to.  Ended my day by proving that I still know how to do a lock change for a Letter Box Assembly. 

 

Thursday I proved that I can still make coffee.  I didn’t get any verbal compliments but when I went to clean the pot all 60 cups were gone so I guess that’s as close as one gets to an endorsement. 

 

At week’s end I decided to clean up the old files on my backup disk.  It may have a 250 Gigabyte Capacity but it was getting filled up.  Apparently Windows took exception to the 59 Gigabytes I deleted as when I rebooted it threw a temper tantrum.  Not being a fan of system restore especially since the nightmare memories of Windows Me I use Norton Utilities Pro which include Norton Ghost.  When Windows refused to start I was forced to dig out my rescue disk and use it to re-instate a restore point.  Lost a few E-mail that somehow got saved to Documents and Settings rather than my data drive E-mail file but otherwise I was pleased when I rebooted and things worked.  Still don’t understand how a keyboard and its blue tooth sitting 8 inches away can lose touch with one another.  Next challenge Saturday morning was a programme that froze during post and forced me to engage “Safe Mode” while I reinstalled it.  At that point my calendar programme lost touch with its database so I was forced to invoke Norton Ghost a second time to restore the programme and its database in Documents and Settings—that too worked—at least with Norton Ghost I can selectively choose the files I wish to restore. 

 

The weekend has been taken up with laundry, browsing, and checking files.  Spent some time updating my wish list at Amazon and on a whim decided to see if any of the online MP3 services had some of the music I’ve been having problems obtaining.  For the first time ever I actually bought music at iTunes and Puretracks.   Then placed an order for some books, CD’s and DVD’s at Amazon. 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge