Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Friday, April 06, 2007

Winter Returns to Southern Ontario

Apparently the Easter Bunny is going to be a Snow Shoe Hare this year; I exited my underground garage Thursday morning to witness snow drifting across our driveway.  The snow-belt areas can expect up to 30 cm. of what in the Maritimes we would call “poor man’s fertilizer”.  Darned cold and windy to go with it as well.  Ironic that kids may be skiing at Easter when they couldn’t at Christmas. 

 

Having a long weekend seems like a good idea in theory but processing five day’s mail in only four is quite another reality.  Throw bad weather and a few late mail transfer trucks into the mix and things can get tense. 

 

This week I have a reasonable excuse for a lack of entries.  Since last Friday the 30th I’ve been rather pre-occupied with initiating a brand new console.  Installing software, scanning documents, settings and configuration files; looking for registration keys and installation files; and tweaking settings.  I find that it takes at least two weeks to train a newly installed operating system to bend to my will.  If I were satisfied to accept default setting things would be easier but I’ll plead guilty to being one who prefers to configure each programme to my liking and tweak settings to do what I want.  With 330 Gigabyte Drives I certainly don’t accept the default Windows setting of a 33 GB (10%) recycle bin.  I’m not a fan of the Windows Restore facility so I decided, with the storage space I now possess to use Norton Ghost which is part of the Norton Utilities Pro Suite I use.  Tried out Go Back some time ago and found it too intrusive and pervasive.  Imagine my chagrin when I discovered that Ghost had eaten up 400 Gigabytes of disk space in just 5 days of backup file creation.  Definitely a monster in need of curbing.  At least now that I have USB 2 file transfer is much faster.  I also have a 256 RAM Video Card and 5:1 Sound; a brand new Blue Tooth Wireless Keyboard and Mouse and a yet to be installed 6 channel sound system.  Saturday I will be housecleaning the dust, arranging the wiring, and getting things permanently set up. 

 

Every now and again there is merit in procrastination.  When I bought my ticket to fly to Halifax at the beginning of the year I dallied a day in completing the transaction and the next day the fare was $30 less.  Some time ago I bought a copy of Intuit’s Will Expert at $49.99 and although I installed it on my computer never did get around to using it.  When I went to install it on this computer I got the dialogue boxes with all the imprecations about ensuring that it was installed on the computer that would be printing the actual documents as installing it on another computer would require buying another key.  Apparently I never did get around to activating it last time as the process completed without a hitch.  Win some—Lose some. 

 

Now I’m about to take this machine off-line and do that cleaning.  Wish me luck. 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge