Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Autumnal Equinox


You couldn’t tell it by sticking your nose outside but Fall arrives tomorrow. For the next year each change of season will have special significance in my life as it will be the last of my working life at Canada Post. As of time of writing I have 340 days, twelve hours and fifty minutes until retirement. With holiday time I’ll be working my last day a month earlier than that. In preparation for that event I’ve been doing a powerful amount of thinking and just a little planning. Braved the rigours of traffic on the 401 across the top of Toronto to check out an RV in Whitby this week—I believe I’m serious about attempting a peripatetic lifestyle for a while after I retire. Switching from a two-storey apartment condo with three bedrooms and two baths to a living arrangement smaller than my bedroom will be an adjustment. It has occurred to me that with a two-burner propane stove I’ll be able to find a use for the wok and cast iron griddle I had to retire when I bought my smooth top stove. With the amount of cooking gear in my kitchen I won’t have to buy anything to set up my ‘cottage on wheels.’

Being old enough to remember a time when the Canadian Dollar was worth more than its American counterpart it is with some interest I note that the events of the last week saw it rise to parity. I wonder how long the prices on items such as books will continue to gouge the buyer by as much as 40¢ on the dollar. The second event I read this morning; the dime novel will never be quite the same again. Tor Star; the holding company that owns Harlequin Romances has announced that forthwith all 120 novels it markets monthly will be available online as downloads. What will lovelorn maidens do with their sweaty palms? Will they short out their laptops?

Wish I could point to a list of accomplishments but alas that hasn’t happened. I haven’t even managed a blog in the last week.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge