Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Do Something!


Or: Lies, Dame Lies, and....

I've done my morning browse and read the comics; I've even had my coffee. Now I should bestir myself to do some housework. Brought my cooler down with a view to emptying my fridge to allow it to defrost and get it thoroughly cleaned. It's a frost-free but there are corners that the auto-system doesn't get to. I should also take out my recyclables but the damp prospect out my balcony window doesn't make that seem an appealing task. I really should get out my bicycle, pump up the tires and go for a ride but again the damp weather is off-putting. Excuses, excuses....

I've been spending too much time at the console of this computer but it is beguiling. In spite of all the browsing, music, reading, photos, and videos I've been neglecting my E-mail and my podcasts continue to accumulate on iTunes. At the moment I'm sitting here watching my internet connection show that my computer is downloading something off the net--trouble is I've no clue what programme is doing it or what's being downloaded. It's likely to be a Windows Update Background Download but even so I'd prefer knowing. I realize a firewall would provide that information but to date I've found them more trouble than they're worth.

I'm still having trouble remaining alert and awake while I attempt to read; the bloom seems to have gone off watching DVDs. Everywhere I look there are papers to be sorted, read and filed--if only in the circular file. Magazines, books and mail to be read and put away. Paper, cardboard, and bottles to be taken to the recycling bins or for refunds. Household chores to be completed--dusting everywhere, vacuuming, washing, paint to be retouched, repairs to be made, windows to be cleaned, laundry, clothes that need mending; even in bachelor's hall a woman's work is never done.

I've got my refrigerator turned off, the contents of the freezer safely stowed in the deep freeze and the frig section placed in Coleman Coolers. The remaining usable bits I'm using to make dinner and the rest will make a trip down the garbage chute. To prove my point the door of my freezer section is busy dripping all over my floor. Up next is the washing of the shelves and drawers; then it's just a waiting game until I'm satisfied the appliance has dried out so that I can turn it back on and put everything back in an organized fashion. Tomorrow I'll be going shopping to recharge my supplies.

Made it to the local Brewer's Retail later in the day Wednesday to return my empties. Of course it's now The Beer Store and for reasons I didn't ask it's been converted back from self-serve since I was last there over eighteen months ago. And they're now accepting LCBO wine and liquor bottles. I certainly have noticed that a 20 Oz. draft of beer costs $ 6.00 at my local eatery but it wasn't til I just did the math--actually my keyboard's built-in calculator did it--that I realized a 12 Oz. bottle of my favourite tipple costs $ 2.25. And to think that I can remember when the boys at the Legion were in shock because a tap glass of ale went up from 10 ¢ to 15--of course their spirits are Excise and Tax Free. I haven't priced it lately mind you.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge