Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Rising from the Despond

Decided it was time I posted the entry below and started fresh.  It was at the end of March that I discovered that the majority of my problems with Vista Service Pack 1 devolved from the fact that Windows reset my swap-file during the update.  Since I took matters in my own hands and reset it to my original settings things have improved.  That and a recommended new Turbo Memory Driver which was required to maintain compatibility with the OS.  Also got reminded that it’s wise to check on what your E-mail service is doing with your correspondence—they seem to have their own ideas about what is and isn’t spam.  

 

I’m suffering withdrawal this weekend as for some reason this week’s Austin Chronicle remains unavailable for download.  This past week spent much of my spare time watching movies on DVD.  I did manage to finally finish reading a book of short stories by Ivan Coyote called Loose End.  I must write a review. 

 

April Fools Day came and went this year without incident.  Mind you I spent the evening in the company of three police officers at our bi-monthly Community Policing Meeting.  I’ve been commissioned to make coffee and lay in donuts for an Employee Appreciation Day next Tuesday.  It seems we’re actually going to be receiving a bonus cheque from Canada Post in recognition of our contribution to the year-end results.  After all the requisite deductions get removed I don’t expect much. 

 

Went shopping for groceries at long last and received a few negative jolts.  Flour has doubled in price since I last bought any—luckily I have a 10 kilo bag in my pantry but that serves to explain why 12 dozen donuts cost me $70.20; a considerable increase over the last time I made that purchase.  They aren’t offering volume discounts any more.  Out of curiosity I spent some time looking over the specialty salts on offer in the deli section.  Near as I can figure it naturally occurring salts in various sites contain non-toxic impurities that add flavour and zest as well as colour to salt deposits left over from earlier geological eras.  I’m not sure if my aging taste buds could discern the difference and at $40.00 a pound for the stuff I’m not about to attempt to find out.  That’s a taste I can do without cultivating. 

 

It’s time I got myself organized and went for a walk.  At the very least I need to pick up coffee cream for Tuesday’s event.  Did that.  There’s still a lot of dirty snow hanging around the corners.  Just read that Charlton Heston died yesterday.  At least now Moses can stop promulgating the heinous NRA filth.  I suppose there’s no doubt how I stand on that matter. 

 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge