Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, July 14, 2008

Blog Entry 2008-07-14













I forgot when I was writing my last entry to comment on the actor who stars in Children of Dune. Those outside the Sci Fi world know James McAvoy from the movie Atonement but seeing him in this mini-series I was hard-pressed to distinguish which of the above actors was which. The one on the right is Gregory Smith of TV’s Everwood fame.

As I begin my last week of employment at Canada Post my feelings are mixed. I am not accustomed to being treated with so much deference and respect. Not that I don’t feel I merit it; just that I don’t normally receive it.

After work I went shopping and again I am hit by the monopoly wholesalers have over the marketplace. Why is it that California strawberries manage to look bigger, brighter and fresher than local ones grown a few miles from the store? The local ones were puny and over-ripe. My grandparents bought a hundredweight of flour and sugar, salt and tea for a dollar; I, on the other hand was able to carry $150 worth of groceries up to my apartment in one load.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge