Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Blog Entry 2008-07-15.doc

With sufficient bandwidth anything is possible online it seems. I have never invested in cable TV and after nearly four years without a working TV during which I watched DVD’s on my computer I finally invested in an LCD TV once the cost reached my price range. I spent the first 16 years of my life without TV in fact I’m old enough that I predate the first Canadian TV broadcast. Two years later I went off to college where TV was again unavailable the dorm TV’s being monopolized by my Jewish neighbours who insisted on watching American Sports channels in which I had no interest. My first TV was bought years later during a visit from my Mother so that she could watch her soap operas. From then until now I managed on what rabbit ears and a loop could pull off the airways. After 4 years of no TV I now find TV commercials insufferable. Therefore, when I attempted to watch Flashpoint on Friday night I was turned off both by the interminable commercials and the poor reception.

This morning I discovered that although CBS will not allow Canadians to watch their programming online the show is available online at CTV here:

http://watch.ctv.ca/flashpoint/season-1/flashpoint-ep-101-scorpio/#clip64083

however whereas programming on CBC is commercial-free on CTV the program is interrupted every 10 or 15 minutes by a commercial which forces one to reset the full-screen option. Despite all this I must agree that this is a good show which I will probably watch again. And if you’d rather spend your money the show is also available as a paid download on iTunes.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge