Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Saturday, July 05, 2008

Retirement--Stressful?

The best-laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley.

­­--Robert Burns

Efficiency is intelligent laziness.

Anonymous

If a train station is where the train stops and a bus station is where the bus stops, what is a work station?

Finally, a forecast with four days of yellow suns in it; as long as the threat of thunderstorms stays south of the Great Lakes.

Retirement is rated as second only in stress level to the death of a spouse. I wonder why? Plan for your retirement they say? I gave my employer over seven month’s notice of my wish to terminate my employment and they waited six months to send me the first shred of paper. I planned a retirement that involved travel and the price of gasoline increased by 50%. I gave the dealership six months notice to supply my RV—3 months more than they said they needed—and four days before I’m supposed to be taking delivery they can’t even supply me with a Vehicle Identification Number so that I can insure it. Do I have any reason to go postal?

If Santa Claus lives at the North Pole he’d better invest in a houseboat or he’s going to be treading water. In an article entitled Santa’s Pool Party it is announced that for the first time in millennia there is every possibility of the Polar Sea becoming open ocean this summer. Archaeologists have proven that during geologic time there were periods when Canada’s high arctic enjoyed equatorial climates. Whether this summer’s melt is part of a natural phenomena or the result of Global Warming brought on man’s intervention our polar bears are going to be sweltering onshore while they starve because there are no ice pans from which to hunt for seals. While Bush fiddles the ice cap burns.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge