Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Friday, August 01, 2008

Ruminations 2008-08-01

This morning I made the rounds and changed my calendars to August. In my spare bedroom I discovered one that still read June; it being one of those freebie commercial deals as I flitted past July I noticed an advertisement for bottled water. Bottled water is one of those current crazes that has always baffled my mind. As one pundit put it if the public will buy bottled water I’m going to start selling bottled air. For a while there the marketplace was actually doing just that at oxygen bars but that’s another rant.

There’s something in my upbringing by a Mother who was a child of the great depression that rebels at the thought of spending money to buy what is freely available from the tap. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll acknowledge that there are circumstances in which filling a water-bottle with fresh water to take with you makes sense. If you’re off on a camping trip where all drinking water must be treated there is little choice. What I object to is the concept of spending good money to buy stale water that has been stored who knows how long in chemical leaching plastic, by unregulated providers, from uncertain sources. How did the great unwashed public get hood-winked into thinking this is cool? Just because a thing is trendy doesn’t mean it’s safe or good for you.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge