Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Weekly Update 2008-08-23

The Bluenose Wanderer has arrived, not without a few hiccups, but she's here. Picked her up on Wednesday. Next Wednesday I have to take her back to get the bits and pieces added they forgot the first time. What can I say? Thursday I drove over and had open house at my office for my former fellow employees. Then stopped off to make tea for my first guest. Got a rag and wiped out all the drawers and surfaces including the floor. Yesterday in all that heat and smog I began in earnest the process of moving in. Took my vacuum cleaner to the seats and mattresses and hit the nooks and crannies. Got serious about the books, CD's and DVD's which are going with me. All the things necessary to maintain a home on wheels. Bedding, towels, linens, clothing, toiletries, first aid, medicines, kitchen supplies, staples, and food. The food will go last but when I move the computer in we'll know things have gotten serious. Pretty soon I'll have to move in as everything I need is there.

With all that excitement to divert my attention my E-mail has gotten away with me. I have over 100 unread messages. Suppose I'll have to get used to that against the days ahead when I may not have regular internet access. Suspect I'd better get as much done as possible today as thunderstorms and rain are promised for tomorrow. It isn't noon yet and already it's hot and humid. First though I'll catch up on my comments on happenings in the world at large.

A Hospital is no place to be sick.

Samuel Goldwyn

US (Polish-born) movie producer (1882 - 1974)

Why did firehouses have circular staircases?

Old firehouses have circular staircases because, in the days when horses pulled fire engines and were stabled on the ground floor of fire houses, they figured out how to walk up straight staircases.

Gas prices to rise again. Nuff said! Firemen have long since stopped buying hay. I was just a bit sceptical of the niggardly nature of a city council that begrudged the item in a fire hall budget that paid for kibble for the station mascot.

London, Ont., to ban bottled water on city premises despite beverage industry protests. Good for them! I've always been scandalized that our Town Hall staff assures us that our tap water is perfectly safe and at the same time insist of using bottled water for their staff. On the health front it has been reported that Alberta may have its first case of West Nile virus this year. Anyone hear of Global Warming? At this rate it will soon spread to the high Arctic. And still with health, Art classes improve diagnostic skills of medical students. Take that all you levels of government who keep cutting back on the Arts; music instruction improves performance in math and science and art sharpens our visual perception. Finally, "Nose for right partner disrupted by contraceptive pill, study suggests." A British study has found an elevated divorce rate among women who used 'the pill.' Apparently it interferes with the perception of pheromones and when women go off it they become disenchanted with their spouses.

Finally, sometimes I hate it when I'm right. Local boy Adam Van Koeverden bombed in his premier event, the 1000 meters kayak and managed only a silver medal in the 1500. Perhaps it's time we selected a non-athlete for the privilege of leading the team onto the field during opening ceremonies. The track record for the jinx on those who perform this honour is virtually unbroken.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge