Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Getting Ready to Travel

It's Friday already and I'm parked in my Condo parking lot. It seems strange to feel awkward in my own home. I've become accustomed to having everything within close reach and I've come to expect the floor beneath me to rock a bit when I move in certain ways. Before I left in August I turned off my refrigerator and therefore my food is still stored in the RV. I may sleep in my apartment but I must still return to the RV to eat. It's also unsettling to see just how much things can change even in only 6 weeks; new roads torn up for construction here, new pavement markings there, and an entire roster of new neighbours.

During my drive in Wednesday heavy rain added to the misery of driving across the top of Toronto. On the way I dropped in on friends in Milton and got fed a bowl of soup. When I did get home I found my bed and crawled into it. Yesterday began the task of getting items I no longer need out of my RV and lugging the things I intend to take with me down. And then there are the mundane tasks of laundry, mending, cleaning, and making repairs. I also have to deal with closing up my apartment, a few minor and major crises, phone calls, and paperwork; as well as shopping, sorting, and deciding what I'll take with me and what leave behind.

Election fever is rampant across North America and as a friend remarked the other day borrowing a line I've used as well, "Where's the Rhinoceros Party when you need them?" Here are a few other sayings I've collected recently:

No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Judge Gideon J. Tucker

There are 1011 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.

Richard Feynman (1918 - 1988)

Since that statement 10 years ago the US Debt has increased by 3 more orders of magnitude.

It's now Saturday and on this side of the border it's Thanksgiving Weekend and Monday is a holiday. I suppose this year I'm going to have the experience of American Thanksgiving the end of November. As regards the world at large I'm adopting what is likely a selfish attitude and declaring, "Stop the world, I want to get off." Given the melt-down in the world's financial markets it's best I not check my mutual savings fund at this time.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge