Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, October 13, 2008

Taking the RV for a Dry Run

Here it is Sunday evening, Thanksgiving Weekend and I'm "camped" beside Hwy 401 at Toronto West KOA. I'm still trying to decide what it is about KOA's and major highways. Aside from bad spelling and that yellow colour scheme KOA's offer Motorhome travelers assurance of consistent quality. I've been seeing this one from the highway for over 40 years and finally I'm parked here. Being beside a major highway may give KOA's visibility but it sure doesn't grant the kamper a peaceful stay.

With a temperature today that reached 25º C it doesn't seem possible that Monday Morning I looked outside my RV and saw half an inch of frost. Of course Monday Morning I was parked on the North Shore of the Saint Lawrence River 1000 Km from here and considerably further north. I've spent the last few days fine-tuning the items I felt I needed when I packed my RV in August, removing the things I didn't need and working out what I can do without in order to keep the weight I'm carrying within reasonable limits. The purpose of this dry run, then, is to see if my planning lives up to reality. Of course today's reality and Monday's are a time zone and language apart.

Just two weeks ago I saw regular gasoline at a service station in Nova Scotia posted at 142.9¢ a litre. Today I saw it at 100.9. Of course 2 weeks ago stocks were worth over 25% more than they are today. I also briefly visited a campground that insisted that they only deal in cash. I don't make it a habit to be walking around these days with $70 in my pocket.

Now it is Thanksgiving Monday and I have yet to post this entry. Took a walk around Toronto West KOA this morning before it got so warm, (82º F in my RV), and noted that in a few acres this campsite crams more kampsites than Thomas Raddall Provincial Park in Nova Scotia fits in several square miles. Of course Thomas Raddall doesn't have to provide 30-Amp-electrical & sewer hookups.

While I was out took a walk along a woods road and noted the nearby swamps which must breed millions of mosquitoes in season. To emphasize just how far the season is advanced every zephyr of wind caused a fall of autumn leaves from the trees along the path spreading a carpet that rustled and a continuing rain of new leaves that was audible even above the noise of the nearby traffic.

When I got back I set about the principle objective of my stay here and worked away at the bulging "Inbox" of my E-mail program that at one point 2 weeks ago had swelled to over 700 entries. I now have it down to fewer than 100 and counting.

I managed to make cornmeal pancakes this morning and plan to grill chicken breasts for Thanksgiving dinner later this afternoon. If my resolve holds I'll also make tuna chowder as well.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge