Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

North Shore Quebec Headed Home.txt

Monday Morning October 6th I awoke to thick frost on everything outside my RV. Is nature trying to tell me something? At least I didn't suffer from noisy neighbours or indeed any neighbours at all. The seasonal campers spent the previous Weekend closing up their trailers for the season. Over my three days at Le Genvrier I spent considerable time catching up on my E-mail, finally at least opening everything in my inbox. I took a walk along the trail system after the sun finally came out Sunday Morning but found my best opportunities to photograph autumn foliage along Hwy 138. I got home just in time to miss a passing shower. Took a walk over to the Fromagerie next door to sample their wares and check out the factory. I got to enjoy some un-dyed cheese curds. The ones I bought were fresh off the line and still warm. Mostly for three days I looked out my windows at the brilliant red foliage and basked in the passing scene. I did scare up a Ruffed Grouse in the woods while I was walking.

My first stop Monday morning after breaking camp was a propane refill station. I might survive without heat but my appliances and plumbing would not. Getting great shots of a scenic view involves luck and being in the right place at the right time with the right light. Unfortunately I did not have that kind of luck and my view from the height of land of Baie-St-Paul and the south shore of the Saint Lawrence is shrouded in mist. Whoever planted the row of firs outside the tourist bureau there did not think about what their placement would do to views of the vista below once they grew.

Quebec drivers are an impatient lot and take chances passing on blind hills and curves I wouldn't dream of risking. Politeness dictates that one pull over to allow faster traffic to pass but prudence requires that it be done in safety and common sense says it can't be done for every car that overtakes one. In a posted construction zone I got my own back when a driver impatient that I was driving the posted speed took off and was promptly pulled over by a QPP Radar Cop.

My first experience with the KOA chain of campgrounds left much to be desired. KOA Montreal West is crammed between Hwy 20 and the CN Mainline. The people who actually pay the yearly fee to be seasonal campers in that racket leave me mystified as to how intolerable their home situation must be if that cacophony is restful. KOA Brighton is on a hill overlooking the 401. Half a mile is not distant enough to muffle that noise. Remind me to switch the restroom light to 'on' from 'auto' next time I take a shower at night. At least I didn't have to pay extra for that shower but I could have used a mite more water pressure. The main thing both sites have going for them is the fact that they're still open. By this time tomorrow I hope to be able to sleep in my own bed at home in Oakville. I own this bed as well but the mattress is not quite as comfy and does not recline.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge