Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas 2009--Austin Texas

First and foremost is the novelty of being able to sit outside comfortably in short shirt sleeves while the A/C cools my RV. I may miss the reflection of Christmas lights off a counterpane of snow but I certainly don't miss shoveling or trudging though it. Since it's been over a decade since I was "home" for Christmas I'm not as lonesome as one might expect.

Monday was cold, foggy, with intermittent rain. Tuesday wasn't much better but in the afternoon I went for a long walk uptown to explore more of Austin making it north as far as Tenth Street before heading East to Congress Ave and the business section. After encountering law offices advertising their get out of jail services and numerous bale bondsmen I finally realized that I was outside the Court of Justice. I'd read of Denver Boots but until this point I'd never seen one. Anyone dumb enough to illegally park outside a police station deserves what they get. After reaching my objective, a Bank of America I noted that a shoe shine costs $5.00 and I was assured by the gal operating it for her husband they were the best deal in town. My shoes don't require polish. After missing several buses I decided to walk back across the Congress Ave Bridge listening to the peals of the clock tower playing Christmas Carols. I managed to work up a sweat.

Christmas Eve dawned clear and warmed up quickly. A new acquaintance from church picked me up mid-afternoon and gave me a sight-seeing tour of West Austin on the way to his home annotating the drive with a geology lesson—that is his specialty. Meeting 25 new people all at once is overwhelming but I remember Barkley the dog. The drinks and Swedish Goodies were excellent; the home book-lined and accented by numerous art pieces. Mein host gave me a ride home on his way to a Santa gig. Time for a nap.

Got myself organized when I awakened and took city streets to get me to church. The chancel was decorated by no less than 100 poinsettias. I expect they're cheaper here than in Ontario. The service began with the homily and moved on to lessons and carols. It would seem officialdom frowns upon candlelit services and large crowds and this being a Swedish congregation a girl with a crown of Candles lit our personal candles for the brief candlelit service. Time was when I needed no books to sing any popular Christmas Carol but alas the makers of new hymnals feel it their duty to muddy the waters by creating new translations to confuse the likes of me. Having a neighbour singing Alto served to encourage my Bass. I'm not familiar with the tradition of Christmas Apples but helped myself to a Red Delicious in any case.

Outside Orion ruled a clear night sky and the Star of Bethlehem in the stained glass wall was lit from the exterior of the building. On the street was parked an Austin Police Car. On a whim I walked over and wished the young officer who looked barely out of high school a Merry Christmas as he'd drawn Christmas duty being low man on the totem pole. I'll never know what it meant to him but it made me feel good. Back in my RV I took the return trip home listening to carols on radio and after getting set up again was not long waiting for bed.

Christmas day was quiet especially since all the local businesses closed for the day. I spent the day quietly in my RV.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge