Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Getting to Know Austin

What I'm discovering over and over again is that Austinites are not the best source of information about their city. Although everyone assured me that Dillo Buses were free "Fare: 50¢" greeted me when I approached my first bus. I was also assured that swimming in Barton Springs Pool was free but the prominent sign outside reads Adults: $3.00. I have also decided that it's far safer to illegally cross the Amtrack Mainline than to take the underpass along South Lamar under it. That everyone has their own idea of the best place to get authentic Texas BBQ should come as no shock but when I checked the menu of Artz Rib House online I experienced sticker shock when I realized that a rack of baby ribs goes for $18.99. That's a lot of hungry when you consider that side dishes are extra! Today I drove past the place and must say I was not impressed by its outward appearance.

Hard as it is to believe I've been in the Austin area for two weeks now, an entire week at this campground. In the last 48 hours I've had a chance to experience one of Austin's Meteorological Mood Swings. Tuesday night I sweltered with an overnight low that didn't drop below 67 and last night the temperature plunged, the wind came up stripping dry leaves off the trees and sleet fell with the large droplets of rain that pelted on my roof. In that cold and damp my heat pump froze up. Tonight we are promised a low of 29!

In the last week I've walked nearly 20 miles exploring everything in all four directions from my campground. Zilker Park, named after the man who donated the land is to the West and on Sunday night I walked over to see the 150 ft tower strung Christmas Tree officially lit with the Austin Wind Ensemble and a school choir in attendance. I enjoyed the Winds if not the windbags who spoke preceding the lighting. Having walked past the Sculpture Gardens I believe I can live without it, I do want to see the Botanical Gardens at some point. The miniature railway looked like fun with its 25 minute ride. We are in the south, one of the streets through Zilker Park is Robert E. Lee Rd.

On Saturday I found a closer Grocery Store and began anew the process of finding my way around another new HEB. In the afternoon I took a walk down Congress St to see the local shopping area there. The place is an odd mix of tattoo parlours, weird art, hotels, eateries, street people and musicians. There was even a pet fare.

After sleeping in went to 10:30 service at Gethsemane Lutheran Church and got an invitation to join their choir. After getting back home I went next door to Romeos for Italian Eggs Benedict served on Focaccia Bread. Their Tomato Basil Soup was tasty as was the Ginger Beer I had with brunch.

Walked uptown on Monday and checked out Book People sinning by not taking along my booklist. I did find a map of Austin—and a needed magnifying pad to go with it and a guide to Austin. Dropped by the Zach Theatre which is in my back yard and bought a ticket for The Santaland Diaries based on a book by David Sedaris for Thursday night. Tuesday was dedicated to household chores and hygiene. This morning, Wednesday December 10th, after I thawed out drove down to Best Buy to pick up a few of the latest releases and a few classics. Then drove uptown to find Barns and Noble Books—that was a mistake—no parking. And not that wide a selection either. Suppose I'll have to go to one of the larger stores on the edge of town. After finding my way to the place I'd left my car and finding it unscathed drove back home again. In a couple hours I'll be driving up to choir practise. Such is life in the big city. Feels pleasant to stretch out in front of my computer and enjoy the sun streaming in my windows now that the sky has cleared. Those clear skies presage a cold night. Tomorrow believe I'll try out Chicken Fried Steak at Green Mesquite up the street.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge