Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, December 29, 2008

On the Fifth Day of Christmas

December 29, 2008

Two more days of 2008 remaining. Dawn is breaking on a clear sky and the workaday world is coming back to life. Even had I five gold rings I wouldn't know what to do with them. There's a pawn shop just down South Lamar where I could dispose of them I suppose. I've never liked jewelry of any kind. Speaking of which there was a recent news item about thieves stealing 2 million dollars worth of jewelry from Paris Hilton's bedroom. I can't imagine anyone needing that much jewelry and owning it not keeping it in a wall-safe or safety deposit box.

I just spread bread crumbs in the grass outside my RV and already there are a dozen boat-tail grackles and a bluejay fighting over it. It doesn't seem to take long for the word to spread. I have corn tortillas for the Huevos Rancheros I plan to make for breakfast but the birds are cleaning up my bread crusts so I need to go shopping tomorrow. I'll need to put together a shopping list before I go. Even retired dilettantes need to go shopping. While I'm out I should check out whether I should fill up my tank as gasoline is now as low as $1.26 a gallon. Retired or not clothes still get dirty and dust bunnies collect and need sweeping before they start fighting with one another. I need to get into the rear of my RV and re-organize things. Among other things I need to put away the DVD's I've finished watching.

The Canadian Citizenship Minister has decided that Santa Claus is a Canadian. If he and the rest of his government don't soon do something about global warming I figure Santa Claus will have his houseboat moored in International Waters. With the economy headed South I doubt the Canadian Government could finance gifts for all the children of the world.

After the near tropical days that seemed so incongruous to me at Christmas it has turned cold again. At least I should be thankful that the cold front blew in without causing dangerous storms or major flooding. I'm thankful for my heat pump even if it is noisy. After a month in one place I'm beginning to feel the need to travel again. I'm comfortable here but I risk the danger of getting too comfortable. I do long for a view of mountains and streams to replace the lattice fence bordering Romeo's Patio I'm looking at from my bedroom window, the construction derricks I see from my front windows, and my sloppy neighbours next door. Before it becomes too wrenching to leave I guess I'll need to get moving again.

I'm about to file an application for the Nova Scotia Campground Host Program. If successful this will give me something useful to do a year into my retirement. It will also provide me with somewhere to park rent-free next summer.

Until I went on the road in August I hadn't realized how much I took for granted High-Speed Internet Service. The majority of campgrounds I've visited provide complimentary Wi-Fi­ but there is a wide variation in quality and I've run into places where it doesn't exist. Watching paint dry while a web page opens is not fun. At present I'm pirating the free service local restaurants provide their customers and I access the best signal late at night. Hence this blog is not likely to be posted until early Tuesday morning. I will probably investigate a Wi-Fi Card but that's an expensive option and getting a signal is not always guaranteed in remote locations. Meanwhile I have a back log of streamed Pipe Dreams Programs that goes back all the way to July. Even if I manage to access high-speed internet bandwidth will be an issue as in this congested online world ISP's are putting limits on it.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge