Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, December 01, 2008

Austin Deep in the Heart of Texas

Still no carrot gushers but today at Waterloo Records I made a discovery that helps to explain the attraction of the place for me. Austin was settled by Germans who named it Waterloo back in 1838! It was renamed Austin in honour of Stephen F Austin who is considered father of the State of Texas or if you'd prefer the Republic of Texas which many still consider it. The German connection would tend to explain the number of pubs in town and the presence of so many Lutheran Churches. Today I sampled both.

I arrived in Austin on Wednesday on the eve of the American Thanksgiving Holiday—most I talked to had no idea we have an earlier celebration on our side of the border. Finding no room at the inn so to speak I was forced to drive out into the Hill Country north-west of town to find a campsite and settled in at La Hacienda near Lake Travis after passing the massive dam that impounds the Colorado River creating the lake. The area is dramatically hilly and one is left in no doubt that one has climbed a significant escarpment. Nor is there any doubt that this is the playground of the rich and well heeled. I've become accustomed to my 22 ft Roadtrek being the smallest RV in the park but here most are double that size. Nevertheless I've been made welcome and took Canadian Cranberries to the Campground's Thanksgiving Potluck Dinner.

In many ways thBlote Lake Travis area resembles Oakville in that a car is necessary to get anywhere. As one approaches the scarp monumental estates are prominently visible and huge resortlike developments are everywhere. They aren't gated as in Florida but the look is much the same. Some of the views of Lake Travis are dramatically beautiful. Unfortunately downtown is 20 miles away and this area is way off any bus route.

Accordingly I drove into town today to reconnoitre the situation. First I attended Gethsemane Lutheran Church founded in 1962 on land that was formerly a cotton plantation. Formerly a much older Swedish Lutheran Church the interior is soaring and the chancel is back-dropped by a floor to ceiling stained glass window that wraps around the upper portion of the Nave. In the balcony at the rear is a three-manual organ played by an organist who believes in not allowing hymns to drag. Everything about the place made me feel at home. After worshipping there I drove down to check out Pecan Grove Campground and if things pan out I may be able to set up camp there for the month of December and be close to everything downtown. While I was in the neighbourhood just had to check out Waterloo Records. Until it opened I had brunch at the Ice House next door. Note to self—Huevos Rancheros are poached in the spicy tomato sauce—it isn't added later. Waterloo Records immediately invoked memories of Sam the Record Man. It's on a single floor the but look of aging shelves, the layout, and even the invitation to check the understock, or ask staff if you can't find it are the same. Until I have a list prepared I really don't date buy anything.

It's now Monday morning and the sun just came out. I have some appointments to keep so I'll write later when I've had a chance to go sight-seeing. Finally got a chance yesterday to clean up the mess blogger makes of my E-mailed entries but I didn't get to justifying the margins or adding pictures my connection being too slow.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge