Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Friday, April 12, 2013

Day Fourteen and Onward Home

The first thing I learned when I arrived in Rock Island, Illinois was that I should have filled up in Iowa; gas this side of the Mississippi is 30¢/gal more. Too late for this day. Burned once already I signed in for one day and settled in for the night. When everything appeared to be as promised signed up for 3 days more. With moderately good online access decided to play catch-up. Even managed to upload my pictures from Marquette early one morning here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/116056081906880155927/albums/5863664819164633265?authkey=CNKrs8Ok8dSCyQE

Went for a walk around the pond/lake around which the seasonal campsites are ranged along with some tenting sites and put out my bird feeders. The swampy areas were teaming with Redwing Blackbirds and the fields with Killdeer. Woodpeckers called from high in the treetops. A Nuthatch appeared at my bird treat in his favourite upside down stance. I also attracted Purple Finch and American Goldfinch. I was thrilled to see a male Downie who seemed to be collecting food for a nearby nesting mate.

Got my act in gear on Saturday and drove the 8 miles back across the Mississippi to get gas in Iowa, then drove to another bridge and crossed back to visit the Quad City Botanical Gardens. Not the most favorable time to visit any garden but with my RBG Card the visit was free. On my way home dropped into the Hy-Vee grocery store a mile from my campground and was pleasantly surprised to find pleasant helpful staff, a bakery, meat market, cheese deli, fresh produce and an excellent selection of general groceries. The wine and beer section had a selection of ciders that I couldn't resist. Elberblossom Flavoured Cider!

Traveling anywhere from this park meant a bridge and expressway so I gave up on Sunday Morning Church and spent a quiet day at home getting in a further walk between showers. Wouldn't you know the internet failed just after everyone left the office for the day. I was the only person in my section of the campground so it was quiet. The barking dogs and partiers had all left. Took my time getting started next day but the internet it seemed was not to be.

Lots of truck traffic again on I-80 and some rough patches. The toll section cost me $1.10 near Chicago; traffic roared along at 70+ in a 55 zone until we passed two trucks pulled over by the Sheriff's Department. Made Michigan City by mid-afternoon and found someone in the office ready to serve me, Sadie the dog pattered downstairs to greet me. Satisfied I was acceptable she walked back behind the counter and laid down.

Settled into the same campsite I've stayed at on two prior occasions. Michigan City Campground is not a 5-Star location but it has never failed me and the owners are polite and friendly. It's good to feel welcomed and cared for. On the ground spring is still waiting for a few warm nights before things start happening but the frogs are busy mating each night in the local ponds and one Canada Goose had a clutch of 5 eggs when I visited her pond. Two pair of Hooded Mergansers were cruising the far end of the pond. Wednesday Morning amid rain and thundershowers I finally got off. I decided to wait for full daylight to drive in the rain. It never did brighten by much.

Interstate 80 in Indiana and Ohio is a toll road. Between the two sections it cost me $23.30. If there was evidence that the revenue had been spent on maintaining the road it wouldn't suck quite as bad. The sections under construction were a definite pain. One stretch was ponded under a foot of water. During one particularly heavy thunderstorm the windshield wipers couldn't keep up, the hale was hitting too hard for the thunder to make an impression but the ground strike in the field across the road caught my attention. In several rather narrow construction zones the trucks beside me got perilously close. With a captive audience Mobil Oil was charging what they thought the traffic would bear at the service centres. The signs at one such read $3.89. I filled up for $3.54 but saw an off highway station shortly afterward reading $3.34. All in all it was a tough 400 miles. And having crossed the meridian I lost an hour so I arrived at my campground just 15 minutes before closing at 6:45.

I'm writing in Erie, Pennsylvania at Presque Isle Passage Campground, alas, a glorified mudhole. Sank in to my hub caps the first time I tried to back into my campsite. Found another route in. Nothing else looked much better in the waning light. The internet did work as promised.

Thursday morning woke early and went back to bed after breakfast. When I did get going drove up to see the visitor's centre at Presque Isle State Park. Someone designed an observation tower to afford a view of the peninsula but the project ran out of funds and the tower provides its best view of the roller coasters at the amusement park across the road. A four-lane highway led out onto the peninsula sporting a speed limit of 25. Everything appears well planned and cared for. In the wind and the rain walking the park seemed out of the question, a bike path paralleled the road in. Caught a turnaround and drove back to the Interpretive Centre. Watched the 15-minute intro movie and paid to see an hour-long IMAX show on Tornadoes. Narrated by none other than Mister Twister himself, Bill Paxton. There was even a nut-job in a homemade tank-like structure who anchored himself in the path of a tornado to film its 30-second passage over his turret. Can't imagine what people thought seeing this tank-like vehicle approaching them in a storm on the highway.

Dumped all my tanks against my RV sitting in freezing temps. Friday morning decided to wait so I wouldn't hit rush hour traffic in Buffalo, Hamilton, Toronto Bound. Or was I just being lazy? In any case I went back to bed. I'm sending this just before I leave for home.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge