Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, April 08, 2013

Further Rantings

Ended up writing a catch-up blog instead of my last rant so here goes.
Until I saw Tyler Posey use his cell phone to find something in the dark
on Teen Wolf such a use had never occurred to me. Smart phones and
tablets are becoming versatile all-in-one entertainment units; though I
find reading a book while jogging to be inadvisable though I've seen it.
If you don't want to interact with the world around you use a treadmill
instead and hook up to your I-Pad or watch TV. Cell phones have become
so ubiquitous that people wear them on their belts rather than have a
watch on their wrists to check the time. GPS enabled phones even track
jogging distances replacing a pedometer.

Bud Light has a great deal to answer for. Aside from being a piss-poor
excuse for a beer its cans are littered everywhere by the souses who
drink it. If the next person to light on the Moon or Mars doesn't find a
Tim Horton's cup with the rim rolled up there'll be a Bud Light can, now
in 8 oz tins--why even bother?

Last night my campground fell out of favour with me when someone turned
off the computer that controls access to the internet when they shut
down for the night leaving one very unhappy camper.

Overnight it started raining, no thunder and lightening that I noticed
but a few quite heavy showers. In the morning a few rather large puddles
around the park. Settled in last night when I couldn't get online and
had trouble sleeping and finished Borland's High, Wide and Lonesome.
Decided to move on to Pearl S Buck's The Good Earth, a classic I have
not yet read.

Something I et, (the breading on the precooked chicken I had Saturday?),
caused an allergic reaction--anxiety, bloating, flatulence, and hives in
my groin. Guess I should have prepared my own dinner that day.

Outside my windows this morning the Red-Wing Blackbirds are protesting
the loss of my bird feeders put away before the rain began at dusk last
night.

On the BBC News on NPR this morning was announced the death of the Iron
Lady Margaret Thatcher. Thousands of Coal Miners and other unionized
workers are probably ready to dance on her grave. Cut from the same
cloth as her buddy Reagan who famously fired striking air traffic
controllers she was loved and villainized for taking on the unions, for
the Falklands War, and for instituting a much-hated poll tax as an
insult to the poor.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge