Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, April 07, 2013

Day Ten and Onward

Was up before 5:00 to walk over at 6 to be picked up for the 6:30 Sunrise service at Coronado Heights. Early in more senses than one since pastor failed to check his Old Farmer's Almanac and realize the sunup would not occur until 7:17 at our location. The faithful stood around 3 fire pits, drank coffee and ate donuts until ole sol finally made his appearance. Christ is risen, Alleluia, not let's get warm.

Arrived back in Lindsborg just in time to make the Easter Service at Bethany complete with trumpet. Following was a Biscuits and Sausage Gravy Brunch. Would it be sharing too much to relate that it passed straight through me?

At three that afternoon attended the Spiritual Messiah. This time the technicians couldn't turn off the sunlight streaming in the stained-glass windows though it did tend to make the room rather warm. Four soloists, one of them new to us, took turns singing Spirituals which fit the theme of the Messiah. Some of the wails from the Soprano could only be described as field hollers. The soloists were backed by a group of chamber singers and the ever versatile pianist Genevieve Bishop. Melody Steed accompanied the choir, soloists and audience in the Hallelujah Chorus at the end of Part 2 just before a much-needed intermission. It felt good to get outside. The soloists got off-stage at the end of Part 1, pity the chorus.

Got to bed early and tried to sleep. Around 5:30 set out for points north with a certain feeling of regret. Kansas roads, even the interstate, are full of pot holes this time of year and they play havoc with my laptop/amplifier connection. A steady crosswind and groved concrete highway proved wearing. By the time I reached the Missouri Border I was ready to stop in Independence and rest up. The Campus RV Park owned and operated by the Community of Christ has a number of quallities to recommend it. Their Temple and Auditorium are just across the field, the staff are welcoming, and Independence's water supply is among the purist on earth. A shower in such soft water is truly refreshing. Stayed over so I could attend prayers for peace at the Temple and was rewarded by a magnificient Chorale and Variations on the organ.

Started out early Wednesday morning to beat Kansas City traffic. I no longer enjoy driving curving expressway roads in the dark but made it out of town safely, then stopped for a coffee. Drove straight up I-35 by-passing Des Moines to head 40 miles out of my way to find a campsite. Iowa did not give me a good welcome. The dour harridan at the 'welcome centre' seemed only interested in getting her guest register signed to justify her continued employment. When I arrived the 'year round' campground was serve yourself/pay cash and lacked everything but an electricl hook-up. Too tired to think of going elsewhere I settled in and read myself to sleep. Managed to get through 1/3 of Hal Borland's High, Wide and Lonesome.

Thursday morning decided to check out the campground along US 30 I didn't stop at on my way up to the forgetable and highway noise ridden Whispering Pines. Discovered that it would have been no better. US 30 is reputedly America's first trans-continental highway. I drove it for one hundred miles from I-35 to Cedar Rapids. After I got past the rough patch just off I-35 the road was in good shape, a 4-lane divided highway for most of this stretch and rated at 55-65. The fact that all the intersecting highways were level crossings gave one pause for thought and caution but compared to I-80 to the south there was no traffic to speak of. At Cedar Rapids I dropped down to I-80 where truck traffic was nearly bumper to bumper the entire drive to the Illinois Border and Rock Island.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge