Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Friday, May 29, 2015

Day Three and Onward

 
 
The sun was up before I and peered through the cracks beside my window blinds at 7:00 this morning. All of Quebec and Eastern Ontario are on Eastern Time. Immediately south of us in New Brunswick it’s an hour earlier and across the border in Labrador being part of Newfoundland it’s an hour and a half earlier. Confused yet?

Spent a quiet lazy morning walking out to check the river just for the exercise. After lunch walked out to Boulevard Cartier, HWY 132, for the exercise. If cougars stay at the Wolf Motel who stays at Motel D’Amour or eats at the similarly named Snack Bar next door. In English Canada the neighbourhood would be termed Gasoline Alley for the gas stations, repair shops, and tire shops. Several more Motels and a Chinese FuXing Closed Lundi. Walked up the hill and got a coffee flavoured Crême Glacé thus defeating the purpose of my walk, oh well!

On Tuesday awoke to the sound of rain pattering on my roof vent at first mimicking the initial drips of coffee when my machine auto-starts. Around eight the Saint Lawrence Ferry’s fog horn blasted as it began its traverse of the river. After getting breakfast went back to bed and didn’t think about getting dressed until noontime. Internet service here remains terrible.

After the sun came out went for a walk around the park and filled a water jug. Exciting day, EH! Spent the evening reading.

Wednesday
Woke before the coffeemaker was set to come on and was off after dumping my holding tanks at 6:00. Stopped for enough gasoline at $1.28.4 to get me to New Brunswick. Today’s route marked the hills that are what remains of the Appalachian Range. Stopped across the border at Edmundston, NB to pick up Tête de violine--fiddleheads. Got them fresh from the swamp as I dumped the mesh bag myself. Chicken breasts at IGA Extra are three times the price I pay at Longos in Oakville. Gasoline at ESSO was $1.12.9, half a cent less than in Saint John where it is refined at Canada’s largest refinery. Transport trucks tend to speed on the downhill grades and slow down going up hill and there are the inevitable cranks who pass and slow down. For the most part I was able to maintain I island of no other traffic around me.

Stopped at the Saint John Tourist Bureau which opened just two weeks ago then found my way to Rockwood Park. Greeted the Quebecois campground manager and signed in for a week. Their credit card machine is under repair so I’ll see them later. Now it’s time to catch up online and go for a walk before it rains. Not supposed to do that until after midnight. Funny, the forecasters don’t look out a window here. Partly Sunny doesn’t account for the dense Fundy Fog. Today was the first time my vehicle was bombarded by kamikaze insects. After it rains tonight I have some work to do.

No pics today, fog doesn’t photograph well.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge