Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, May 10, 2015

May Day Trip 2015

Thursday May 7 was Monthly Fire Alarm Testing Day. That special Hell deemed necessary to keep residents safe. Seemed like a good day to absent myself from my apartment.

First step was gassing up as my last fill-up was just North of Akron Ohio. Husky, just up the street wants to put a $200 hold on your credit card when you select Fill at their pump--not. Gas was $1.127/L and I got $100 worth which did not fill my tank. Oh Well.

Next stop was Postridge Longterm Care Facility to drop in and visit my former neighbour who just celebrated his 90th. Should I live another 25 I would hope someone cares enough to come visit me.

Headed West on Dundas St which is an extensive construction project for much of its length. The dump truck I played hop scotch with did not observe the speed limit. Turned down Bronte Rd on both sides of which house construction proceeds apace. There’s a new entrance onto the QEW which uses a lane on the bridge across the Creek as an on ramp new since I last drove it.

Crossed the city of Burlington and got off 403 at HWY 6 where I discovered a new to me alignment with Plains Rd to get down to the Royal Botanical Gardens. Checked out the Japanese Cherry Blossoms in the Rock Garden Parking Area which is a major work zone as the Rock Garden is being rebuilt. Drove over to the RBG Centre where more change awaited me. The rear entrance is closed and no one gets in without paying or as I did flashing their membership card. Not a heck of a lot happening this early in the season here but I toured the Mediterranean Garden and a few other newer structures inside the centre. Didn’t go upstairs to see the art gallery if it’s still there. Took a look at Eastabrooks Footlongs as a bike rider drove by shouting overpriced. I agreed.

Drove East on Plains Rd and down eventually to New St and Guelph Line to get a double scoop at Eastabrooks there. They were as always a generous size but my Black Sweet Cherry cost $4.80! As the sign says, Tell others about us, the owner has 5 kids. Eating an ice cream cone with a full beard and moustache is a messy process. Wandered the adjacent mini-strip mall. The afterschool Karate Centre complete with van pick-up service has a chiropractor next door--coincidence? Also a tatto parlour and free-standing second hand store.

Drove East on New and eventually down to Lakeshore all the way back to Bronte Rd. When did they put in a barrier to prevent through traffic into Bronte Village Mall from Bronte Rd? Backing out of there was not fun but I didn’t hit anything despite the three cars that careened around me.

Picked up a few groceries at Sobeys and stashed them, then crossed LSW to tour the area. Once Triller St Bronte I delivered mail to the old Centriller School and the Magnet Inn, (brothel), across the road years ago. Denningers is moving to new digs and at the corner I discovered El Spero newly moved down from Hopeless Mall. The iconic Allan Drugs at the Corner is gone.
 


John Oliver’s Electioneering Office faces Bronte Rd. He visited me recently at my door and the election writ isn’t expected until this Fall. I said Hello and wasn’t even offered a button. Walked down Bronte Rd, formerly Trafalgar Rd, Bronte, which is unrecognisable from the days when I delivered mail here. Lakeside Marketeria is long gone. The blockbusting Condo Development, a MURB, has been completed since I last walked here.  Had a look in an art gallery where I may go back for a crow silhouette, only $100 in black metal. As I approached the harbour and Lake Ontario matters cooled significantly. Didn’t find the tea shoppe I remembered from past years. Walked into the Coach and Four Pub but decided my ice cream was holding all too well.

Found my Van and drove East on LSW all the way to Trafalgar then North and home. No bells in my ears when I got back to my apartment.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge