Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, May 25, 2015

East Coast Sojourn 2015

Wouldn’t you know, I just couldn’t get to sleep last night. Gave up on an early start in favour of 6 hours sleep. Did not get off until 8:00 AM after several trips back to pick up items I figured I’d forgotten. At this point I can’t find anything including my sanity.

On a Saturday morning after the long weekend traffic was quiet crossing the top of Toronto. Drove north of the 401 in Napanee East of Belleville for brunch at Denny’s. Barbara was pleasant and apologized for the lack of Bold Coffee--what they did have was good as was my Omelet Supreme. The Flying J washroom was disgusting.

Stopped in Brockville to fill my gas tank at $1.10/L. Getting past Montreal is imperative as they have a surcharge on top of the already high PQ rate.

Stopped again just inside La Belle Province to visit the tourist bureau. Two lonely female agents were rather reluctant to share their largess. The bridge over the Saint Lawrence on the new HWY 30 Montreal bypass comes with a $2.40 toll. Un jeung fils in the toll booth. My GPS doesn’t know from HWY 30 and directed me to take a right turn into the Saint Lawrence I felt it wise to ignore. Floating down the river is not an option and the lock fees would probably scare me. The tides back up the river all the way to Quebec City.

Long before the term aggressive driving was coined Quebec drivers had it down cold. Expect them to follow too close and pass you on a whim pulling in front of you so close you’d swear you are going to lose your front bumper. You haven’t lived until someone makes a five-lane exit in front of you at 80 mph. The sight of a Sûreté du Quebec cruiser causes a massive lighting up of brake lights.

My GPS still hasn’t figured out where Camping Aloutte is in Saint-Matthieu-Du Boleil. It even has it on the wrong side of the highway. The shoulder rate for one night was  $45 plus 6.74 in taxes. Quiet here, I got a site on the heights overlooking HWY 20. Montreal has commercial Radio Classique en Français. I could do without the ads but it isn’t gospel or cawntry.









No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge