Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Waxing Philosophical



The thing about being on vacation is the luxury of unwinding and having time to wax philosophical. Civilization is built upon human society having the luxury of taking time off from hunting and gathering--the necessities for survival--and spend time to decorate their caves and clothing with art. Remarkably we still find our own bodies to be a fitting canvas for our artistic endeavours, though today we can afford to pay others to perform those rituals. The development of written language meant that what had been an oral tradition could be passed on without the thinker even being present. If you have doubts about the significance of this statement, just think about the last time you went wilderness camping--particularly if you went winter camping.

As you can see I set the camera on top of my LCD Screen and popped off a few impromtu pictures. At least I managed to keep my eyes open for the flash though I don't find these shots particularly flattering. This will serve for a before and after shot when I decide the weather has finally turned warm enough for my summer haircut. Just Tuesday the temperature was 2 above when I got up. Here in Southern Ontario we've also been enjoying a period of over two weeks of rain. This morning has begun hazy with a great deal of high cloud though a sunny day with temperatures around 25ยบ C are predicted.



Before I post this I believe I'll take a walk about the property with my camera and see if I get anything worth posting. With all that cloud the light is not particularly good this morning. Sort of a shame to use a Nikon Coolpix 4500 Camera to point and shoot, but it works. The sign reads, The Villas, the name of the Condominium Apartment in which I live.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge