Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Bluenose Meander: Day Two

Slept in after early morning web browse. Fell asleep Sunday Night after watching Teen Wolf on i-Tunes. Wasn't up to much so I drifted off to the rain pattering on my roof and windows. At least Aloutte Campground was quiet; evening Wi-Fi sucks, especially at $5/day extra.

Sleeping in for me meant 8:30 AM. Given Montreal and Quebec City Rush Hour Traffic this was not a day for an early start. Rivière-Du-Loup is at the junction of HWY 20 and 185 which heads South to Edmundston, New Brunswick. Getting there meant a drive up the Eastern Townships of Quebec on moderately rough pavement in light traffic. I was fortunate that the fog didn't drift in off the Saint Lawrence until 10 miles from my destination. I was also fortunate in encountering relatively little highway construction or detours, only light rain, and even snatches of
sun. Made it all the way without incident though the QPP were out in force stopping speeders.

Headed first to St. Hubert just off the highway for a feed of chicken, then went next door to the Shell Station where a fill-up cost me $135.70 at $1.33/L. Heading north across the highway bridge construction on HWY 132 seems permanently stalled. Arriving at Camping Du Quai is like coming home:

  1. Friendly Family Run Campground that's quiet
  2. Great tasting water
  3. The best Wi-Fi I've seen in my travels
  4. Hiking trail across the road
  5. One of my favourite Grocery Stores in town
  6. St Hubert's Chicken nearby

The heavens opened just after I'd settled in. Good thing I wasn't planning on a campfire. :-(

I wanted to catch up online in any case. It was with some interest I read that this place is famous for its sunsets. I wouldn't know; anytime I've been here it's either been cloudy and raining or fogbound. If it weren't for the CBC the Simard Farmily would have all the media outlets locked up: everything is in French in any case.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge