Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Bluenose Meander: Days Six to Eight

Had a quiet drive down to Fredericton early Friday Morning and found a campsite at Hartt Isle RV Resort. The rain continues to follow me otherwise had I brought my bike I'd have ridden into downtown 4 miles distant. One of these years. Spent another quiet day in camp. By next year I'd hope they've finished reconstructing their 'resort'.

This Sunday Morning, Day Eight, set out for Nova Scotia after reading the comix over coffee. The highways were relatively quiet with little trucking to bother me. Two days earlier I played continual hop scotch with a heavy truck that passed me on the downhills and then had to be passed again as it labored up the next grade. Not fun that. The day began sunny for the most part. Stopped in Sackville New Brunswick just short of the NS Border to get cheaper NB gasoline after waiting for the line-up at the pump noting all the NS license plates. Found the NB Welcome Centre there open. Felt sadly nostalgic as I passed the four Radio Canada International Transmission Towers in Tantramar Marsh now standing idle as Canada's answer to Voice of America begun during WW#2 has been stilled. The internet is spelling the end of Short Wave Radio.

A few miles later stopped at the Nova Scotia Welcome Centre to pick up tourist bumph. A young highschool laddie will don kilt and sporran to pipe visitors into New Scotland starting Canada Day after several year's hiatus since the lassie retired. I must stop to see him on my return journey. Stopped at Masstown after driving the old (non-toll) road
through the Wentworth Valley and there purchased Nova Scotia Maple Syrup, Solomon Gundy, Apple Blossom Honey, Green Tomato Chow, and Mustard Beans. Twould be a sin not to.

My reputation as a water witcher remains intact as a black cloud appeared out of a clear sky and dumped torrential rain just 20 miles short of my niece's home in Falmouth in the Annapolis Valley. Ignored the GPS' advice to take the Superhighway to Halfiax and then back for the old hill and dale winding HWY 14 route through Nine Mile Woods. For the most part the road was in better shape than the highway.

All's right with the world, my pop corn popper still manages to set off  the smoke alarm.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge