Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Bluenose Meanders: Days Four & Five

Checked online early this morning Wednesday June 19th, then went back to bed again. Something I'll not be doing the next two days as I have no web access. Woke again at 8:30, packed up and headed out to IGA Extra. I wasn't in the mood for shopping today. Highway 185/85 is still under construction but the route is largely completed at long last, a limited access highway with divided lanes for the most part. The motorcycle trail crossings serve to give one pause at 90 KM/Hr. As I got nearer Edmundston and out of the 'mountains' was able to pick up CBC One in English once more.

Once again the New Brunswick Tourist Bureau disappointed me by being closed. At least I didn't have the challenge turning around people in larger RV's would have. This marks the third year in a row they've stood me up. I was welcomed by an RCMP Roadblock and putting the best possible face on the situation told the officer, is this my welcome to New Brunswick. He quipped that it was necessary now that Quebec is a separate country, I shook his hand and he sent me on my way. Seems they are looking for people buying cheaper beer in Quebec.

Shortly after found De Republic Park. A young couple were manning the camping booth. They failed to tell me the park supplies only 20 AMP power. When I tried to use the pay phone to make a 1-800 call it failed to work. I'm not impressed. The washroom has an open stall with a toilet? Aside from no privacy someone in a wheelchair would have to mount a 2 by 4 to get to the facility and do without toilet paper. The washroom was begun well but it appears they ran out of money and completed the job with two by fours and plywood. Walked over to check out the botanical gardens and learned that not much is in season. Perhaps I should have waited for my return trip.

The calendar may say we're but a few days short of summer but weather conditions dictate that spring has just fully sprung here. The fiddleheads have just finished opening, and the wood anemones, and other spring ephemerals are still in full blossom. My tour of the NB Gardens Thursday Morning was thorough and exhaustive and lasted less than an hour. I did enjoy talking to the Gentleman at the desk who moonlights giving tours from his full-time job as a professor at the NB Forestry School. We both knew our botany. Spent the rest of the day tidying up inside my RV and writing 8 letters. It rained again that night.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge