Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, April 11, 2016

Nashville

As I sat and watched the gusting winds blow the dust around Wednesday I was thankful for my decision to stay put and wait for better driving conditions. The afternoon thunderstorm was just frosting on the cake. Over coffee I watched the exodus of palaces on wheels restoring for me a view of barge traffic on the river which disappeared when a new crop pulled in late afternoon. Most of the barge traffic was downstream with the current.

Got good internet bandwidth when it was magically restored around 1:30 in the afternoon until others caught onto the fact it was working. Caught up online and posted my latest blog entry, and uploaded some pictures. Got out to take a few pictures after the storm.



Thursday Morning began with a roundabout route over rough roads to access the crossing of Ole Man River. The remainder of the 230-mile drive was spent on I-40. Plenty of Truck Traffic and light crosswinds in the afternoon. The only significant occurrence was a one hour hold-up sixty miles South of Nashville. No idea of the cause. Roads into Nashville heavily pot-holed and maze-like. My route indicated Louisville as the destination on the signs.

Got the last available campsite at 2 Rivers RV Park being asked to try it out before I signed in. Hooked up, signed in, and walked down to KOA to sign up for the Opry Friday Night. The KOA is still under heavy construction. Stopped into Camping World to pick up some LED bulbs to replace my halogens. Service was pitiful but I spent my money and left with 6 bulbs now installed and working.

Settled in to catch up online and enjoy a ham, tomato and cheese sandwich with my last Shiner Ram Beer.

Slow start to the day Friday. Walked up eventually for a complimentary coffee and had a look at the cookbooks on offer in the camp store. Used Pocket books on consignment for sale.

Went for my weekly shower once it warmed up outside. Sign of the times, a notice warning against the use of hair dye in the men's?

Walked up to wait for the bus to take me to the Opry. [Review a separate entry.]

Spent too much time on you Tube when I got back before retiring. Enjoyed old sharp cheddar and some wine.

Saturday dawned clear and cold, even here with a frost warning in place. Present in one of America's most vibrant party and music cities I suppose lying back and doing nothing might be seen as a waste but having finished my browsing I'm well satisfied to sit back and write my notes, read, and rest.

A trip to the facilities reminds me that the washroom stalls are narrow enough to put one in mind of a cattle press. Back into the water-closet, wear the shower stall.

Suffered for the rest of the day from the dreaded internet squelching punishment for overuse. Oh Well.





No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge