Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, April 11, 2016

On to Winton Woods

The sardine can that was 2 Rivers RV Park was not worthy of photography. Pulled out around 7:45 Sunday Morning. Half an hour later crossed into Kentucky where I discovered the Welcome Centre fails to do so on a Sunday. Also that driving the 70 MPH speed limit meant I was the slowest vehicle on the highway. Two hours later when I reached Elizabethtown I'd crossed into the Eastern Time Zone and lost an hour. There I stopped for the Breakfast Buffet at Shoneys. Nothing particularly gourmet—the tiny pancakes were unappetizing looking—but it was filling. The bacon was crisp and the coffee was good. If I dined there regularly I'd start looking like too many of my fellow diners.



Stopped to gas up at Pilot an exit later and was pleased to discover my Good Sam Card got me a 3¢ discount. The station was very busy and provided very cramped quarters. My route crossed the city of Lousiville and thereafter I-71 was rather busy with truck traffic. Rubber-necking drivers caused a 20 minute backup when we encountered a collision in the South-bound lanes. The remainder of the 280-mile drive was routine.

Greenhills in Hamilton County north of Cincinnati, Ohio is a bucolic enclave home to Winton Woods Park and its Campground to which I have returned several times. Getting there involves crossing the Ohio River from Kentucky into Ohio State and navigating the ever reconstructed byways of the City of Cincinnati. The construction never seems to reach completion. Since my last visit the park has instituted a daily pass fee and installed gate keepers to collect that fee. These functionaries seem ignorant of the park in which they work. When I told one that I'd buy my park pass at the campground office I was told I was in trouble if I lacked a reservation. Moments later the young man in the office marked the four sites presently occupied giving me my choice of the other 60 or so. Another lacked knowledge of the park's trail system.

Those caveats aside this park-like campground does not disappoint. On this rainy Monday the nearest occupied site is 1000 ft distant and the only noisy neighbours the two Canada Geese I evicted when I occupied my site. Although the redbuds were in bloom along my route here spring has yet to arrive in a place that saw snow on Saturday. On my walk yesterday I did see daffodils and the hardwoods are beginning to bud. My site is surrounded by towering Pines. I have no legitimate excuse for not getting a good night's sleep.

Monday the eleventh was a day of overcast, rain squalls and wind gusts. A day to remain inside and catch up on reading and writing.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge