Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

The Final Leg

Always regret leaving Winton Woods particularly on Wednesday when I discovered the road out was closed for repaving. Finding a new road out put me at the mercy of the GPS. At this point I was 500 miles from home. Since Cross Creek Resort has a ten dollar penalty for arriving too early in the day took my time leaving. Confusing signage directed me to a housing subdivision not the highway—I figured that one out eventually.

Interstate 71 is a major trucking route between Cincinnati and Columbus. When the State decides to post rough road signs one wonders why not fix the blessed thing. My route took me through downtown Columbus right past the towering skyscrapers. North of town the GPS again led me astray and I ended up making a 16-mile detour to get to Polaris Parkway. Once there I stopped to shop at Kroger having found my Kroger Card to ensure I saved $6.00 on sale items. Navigating a strange store is always a challenge.

Cross Creek is a park going downhill. Their credit card reader wasn't functioning so I had to pay cash. The first site I was given didn't have access to Wi-Fi and when I did get online it wasn't up to much.

Once more slept in and when I did get going it had warmed up enough to make coiling my 30-AMP cable less cumbersome. Stopped at Pilot for fuel the station being on the far side of the highway North and the way back blocked by a centre median. The rest of the drive was uneventful. I did not stop at the Erie Welcome Centre but did pause to visit Denny's in Ashtabula, Ohio site of a Kent State University Campus. Breakfast was uninspired, my coffee mug chipped, and service slow. Dishwater coffee. Greasy Spoon aftertaste.

Sara's Campground has been in the same family for 3 generations and has a location to die for between an Entertainment Park and Presquile State Park with its 20 beaches and miles of hiking/bike trails. The office is opposite the section of campground open this time of year with a 4-lane road between. A rather relaxed operation the office lights and TV were running but the door was locked. Just before I was ready to leave checked one last time and someone had showed up. $25.00, pick your own campsite self serve. The internet worked. Beside the highway heading North to the park is a private restaurant strip that includes Sara's, a pizza joint, an art deco building, a clothing boutique, the whole decorated with ancient gas station signs and pumps most reading 49¢/gal for gas. Sara's put me in mind of Arnold's on Happy Days complete with plastic lawn chairs, picnic tables, hamburgers and soft ice cream. I had an orange sherbet/vanilla swirl $2.75 which decorated my beard as I tried to eat it.

Once more it took a couple coffees to get me going. Had to find a site with an accessible drain to dump my holding tanks. Was awakened at 7:00 AM by two garbage compactor trucks. The restaurants apparently have a separate contract for their dumpsters even though all three are side by side. Quelle Wake-up Call.

Followed the GPS directions south to I-90 which becomes a toll highway in New York State. The money collected is not spent on the highway which was in pitiful shape. Stopped to turn off my podcasts, switch van and GPS to Metric, find my passport, and money for the Peace Bridge Toll in Buffalo. Gave the customs agent the right answers to the standard questions and was told Welcome Back and sent on my way.

Stopped at the Ontario Travel Centre just short of the Garden City Skyway and picked up Ontario Map and bumph. Blocked from the right exit where QEW Niagara meets 403 East and West along with 407 toll road and ended up driving through Hamilton. Got gas along Main St W and braved stop and go traffic on 403, then congested traffic on the QEW all the way home. Thirty kilometres of hassle to match my trip South last Fall.

Negotiated our cramped parking lot and headed home with my laptop thankful my key fob still opened the entrance door. Turned on my furnace and started my fridge. Began setting up clocks though I have yet to wind my striking clock. Luxuriated in a full tub bath in my own bathroom. Settled into bed after I got my entertainment centre working again.

Slept in Saturday and eventually got down to empty my RV fridge and leave it to defrost while I packed everything in upstairs. At least no cockroaches here in Oakville. I have been vacuuming to fight dust.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge