Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

More Discontent

It's a commentary on my weekend that the high point of my Saturday was a trip to the garbage chute. On Sunday I managed to do six loads of laundry. Actually managed to get the sheets dried in time to get the bed made up again the same day--the joys of bachelor's hall.

What is it about that radio coming to life to awaken one on a Monday Morning? Nothing pretty when it happens at 2:30 AM! When I left work Monday our clerks had 15 binneys of mail backed up that they hadn't processed including at least a couple from Friday of the previous week! At least I had staged all the mail we'd received for Monday and the five monos of Tuesday's mail--I felt rightly tired when I was finished.

Is it bad luck to have a black cat with a stripe running down the center of its back cross your path on the way to work? This isn't a hypothetical question, it happened on the way to work Tuesday morning though I have to wonder at whether a skunk crossing the QEW has a death wish. Luckily we didn't make contact and I don't have to hold my nose when I use my car.

In the things can always be worse department there is always a first for everything. Having done all my own work the day before I got co-opted into sorting Double X mail. What can I say.? That not being enough I got dragged in to help John put out his householders; worse yet the guy who styles it "his department" buggered off to a doctor's appointment and left me holding the bag. Put in a nine and a half hour day then decided I deserved dinner out at Swiss Chalet.

Feast or famine I spent today cleaning up the office as I had no mail. After I got up from my nap yesterday spent time applying the latest patches to the ever-broken Windows. At least I can report that so far none of those new protocols seem to be preventing me from using the programmes on my computer. While I was at it decided to install Open Office rather than invest in MS Office. I'd already done the 100 MB download but I do wish they'd do a better job of explaining the fact that the word-processor does not natively come with an installed dictionary for their thesaurus and spell-check programme. Also tried out a new defragger programme that is both lightening fast and efficient; it's free and its only drawback is the fact that it is totally manual in operation.

http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag/

I'm now two-thirds of the way through Harry Potter and would be making better progress were I able to stay awake when I sit down to read. Watched a couple episodes of Gunsmoke before retiring last night.

Across the road from me Laurice, the Mediterranean Restaurant inches toward a projected weekend opening. Regrettably their decor continues to look like something out of American Graffiti that would make the Fonze feel at home. Hope their food is less sixtyish!

Learned today that the building freeze north of Dundas Street has been lifted so that we get to learn how many of the projected 70,000 homes the developers are going to get to build. Most of that growth will end up in our office until mother corp goads itself into planning after the fact. I'd expect they'll be establishing a new postal code for the area but who knows? Perhaps it's time I gave notice of my retirement.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge