Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Thursday, August 09, 2007

The Summer of My Discontent

If anyone out there is actually reading my scribblings here please drop a comment to let me know I'm not just talking to myself--not that I don't do that in any case.

Here in Southern Ontario the air continues to be hot, humid, and smoggy. In the last couple days we've gotten just enough rain to be annoying to people who have to work outside for a living but insufficient to do lawns or gardens any good. I'm sure our farmers are suffering.

I've lost track of when I got my last personal E-mail. Probably my sister last week who sent me a picture of my Grand-Niece in England--Poor Tyke, she's cursed with my hair:

I've been working this week to catch up on my shopping chores--I do consider shopping a chore, not a pleasure trip.  I was pleasantly surprised yesterday to discover that gasoline had dropped five cents a litre overnight.  Sometimes it actually pays to procrastinate.  Last fill-up I paid fifteen cents more.  Dropped into the evil empire, AKA Wal-Mart to pick up Folgers Mountain Blend Coffee and their Simply Smooth Blend.  I used to grind my own coffee beans but lately I've gotten lazy in my old age and it is good coffee at a good price. 

Speaking of old I have been feeling creaky lately.  Something about having yet another birthday pass reminds one about the challenge of getting up again when one gets down on one's haunches.  Recently I've been experiencing aches in my wrists and elbows.  These things used to be associated with allergy flare-ups and go away when the system ceased to be inflamed--hope that still holds. 

I've just passed the twelve months to retirement point so I'm now under one year to that jubilee event.  Suppose I have to start making distinct plans, in six months or less I must start the paperwork--wish I was joking about the latter.  In the shorter term I'm just three weeks away from a Month's worth of holidays--annual leave if you will, I have the entire month of September off.  I really should plan to get away for a while but being from New Scotland if not Scottish the cost of renting a motel room for even one night scares me; even camping in a provincial camp ground can cost up to $35.00 a night!  And to think that in the Sixties we stayed in the Hotel/Motel Sur la Mer in St. Anne Du Monts, PQ for $3.00 per night but then I remember when interior camping in a national park and the firewood for your fireplace were free.  Am I dating myself, of course I am.  Sometime I have to do an entire entry on the way things were. 

One more day to go this week and this weekend I simply must break down and finally do laundry. 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge