Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Summers Almost Gone

Sunday morning coming down. Checked the TV schedule and decided there’s nothing on I’d want to watch. In passing I’d note that CBC is showing the second Harry Potter movie stretching its original two and a half hour length to three and a half. If there are any children out there who don’t already own a copy of the DVD it’s a lucky thing they don’t have to get up for school tomorrow as it ends at 11:30. I wonder how much was cut to make room for more commercials. Thank goodness for DVD’s. Last night I watched the 2001 remake of Planet of the Apes which was paired with Quest for Fire as a twofer. See sister blog for my reviews.

Outside dawn is slowly breaking on what Maritimers would call a Mackerel Sky—one that looks scaly portending rain—and indeed the forecast for the next week contains nothing but rain; the one consolation being that the increasing cloud cover will make the overnight lows warmer than the present 10º C. Balmy mind you compared to the single digit temps in Halifax and Calgary. A bit early for fall rains but moisture is badly needed though for many farmers it’s probably already too late to salvage their crops. Just opened my window and pulled in the screen to cool my apartment and save the A/C; a rare event as I would normally keep it closed to keep out pollen and highway noise. Traffic noise is negligible at 7:00 AM on a Sunday.

I should be going grocery shopping but just can’t seem to get the enthusiasm for the task this morning. I’ll manage somehow with what I’ve already got in stock until at least mid-week. I would not have said that I was typically male in most senses but I take no delight in shopping. I suppose that’s why I have taken to online shopping to the extent I have. No crowded aisles, surly salespersons, and check-out lineups or the struggle to find parking. Have you ever tried to use Chapter’s in store computer terminals? If their servers were any slower customers would take root on their dirty carpets.

Just finished French Toast made on the griddle insert of my waffle iron. It’s one easy way to use up stale bread. It would seem that Sympatico’s servers are down again as my last two files failed sending. Guess I should be thankful that I have online alternatives as this is at least the forth time this week they’ve been down.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge