Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Gift of Giving

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."
- Winston Churchill

I had a chance to put this in practise today. One of my fellow workers is leaving to move to another office and I was pondering a going-away gift. Last night I heard about The Weekend Book, a compendium of useful tips, poetry, wisdom, recipes, and games to make for a perfect weekend written by Francis Meynell in the 1920ies.



It's just been reprinted and the description made it sound perfect for a friend who enjoys old things and attending flea markets. Went online and discovered the local Chapters had 24 copies so I went there this morning just after they opened and bought one even though the price is $5 above that online. I was gladdened to be able to make the gift and even more gratified to have my intuition confirmed when my friend expressed absolute delight with it.

1 comment:

Mike Norton said...

An excellent sentiment and recommendation! Thanks for the advice. (Just a fellow blogger passing through via a random "Next Blob" tour.)

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge