Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

On Birthdays & Other Rants

What to say about Birthdays and becoming another year older? I believe I'll spare my patient readers a lot of mushy moralizing and navel-gazing. Below you'll read a rant I sent to the publishers of Webshots. Here's feedback I'm sending the publishers of Maclean's Magazine:

As honourable an endeavour as it is to celebrate the lives of ordinary Canadians as you have been doing with your series of obituaries in the end-pages of Maclean's; I believe it would be even better to recognize the achievements of Canadians whose efforts don't usually make headlines while they are yet living. In particular, featuring articles on young Canadians would present positive role-models and serve to gain you new readers of that generation. I'm not sure how you find the stories for your obituary columns, but I'm sure you could use similar methods to find living subjects.

By the way, I'm enjoying the opportunity to read my subscription copy of Maclean's in Zinio Reader; I just wish there was some way I could configure it to bypass pages that contain nothing but advertising. For sure I've solved the problem of scented pages.


Don't know if my comments to either publication will have any effect, but for sure nothing will happen if no one makes any noise.

1 comment:

Wanda said...

Well then Happy Birthday Garth. and at least you get to enjoy it on a Sat. so you can get out and do something nice for yourself. Have fun and Happy Birthday to you again.

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge