Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, July 16, 2006


On the radio they're arguing over whether the City of Toronto should be declaring a heat alert. Me, I'm just thankful for air conditioning. The temperature today will rise to 36º C or, as I prefer to think, having never completely converted to metric, 87º F. The feds may legislate the official use of metric measures, but as long as most of the containers I buy food in retain the old avoirdupois equivalent sizes I'll not be converting my kitchen to metric. I still think in miles per gallon, gas mileage; my weight in pounds--kilos might sound better these days mind you; and inches of mercury for barometric pressure. This week we're destined to enjoy temperatures in the low 90ies. I guess I can be thankful I now have a job that keeps me inside the office and that the office is air conditioned. My car is air conditioned as well, though that first jolt when I get into it after it's been sitting in the hot sun for eight hours is a jolt. Automobile air conditioning used to be a luxury I forewent in honour of saving the environment but thanks to global warming I've become more interested in my personal environment. So as the compressor in the central air conditioning unit roars away in the corner of my dining room I'll try to tolerate the racket and be thankful I'm not baking in my own juices.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge