Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Crossing Nova Scotia to the Bay of Fundy

It is a sad commentary on the state of the fishing industry that Lunenburg is no longer an assault on the olfactory senses at low tide. After two days, though, one can tire of fog, mist, and fog horns. No word on who won the dory races—in my day the Hiesler Brothers regularly had that locked up. In any case Monday morning I packed up shop and headed for Bridgewater the long way round through Maders Cove and Mahone Bay. A sunlit Mahone Bay is much more inviting. Slowly but surely I made my way across the wooded backbone of Nova Scotia crossing the North Mountain into sunshine. Arrived at Belle Baie Campground in Church Point on the Bay of Fundy after fighting a significant headwind all the way down the valley.

Belle Baie Park.jpg

Shared with Flock - The Social Web Browser
http://flock.com

Church Point is in the centre of the Acadian Shore of Nova Scotia. Nearby are two significant churches: Saint Bernard constructed over a period of 32 years of stone quarried in Queens County and Sainte Marie which boasts the tallest wooden church tower in North America at 185 feet. Saint Bernards was still under construction when my mother taught school at Bear River in the 30's.


Beach at Low Tide.jpg

I camped with her at Church Point in a rented motor home some 20 years ago. I enjoyed the experience so much I had to come back again. In particular they have the best tasting water here I've enjoyed since leaving home.

Long Island and the Bay.jpg

Just took a break to go out and photograph the sun setting over Long Island. The secret of sunset shots is never to place the sun in the centre of your shot.


Sunset over Long Island.jpg

As the pictures show the air is dead calm tonight and I had to come in when the black flies became voracious.

Acadian Country.jpg

Decided to get adventurous and try out my new convection oven by making muffins. Actually figured out how to make the oven work without the aid of the owner's manual. Of course the recipe was improvised and it was my first time with a convection oven but the results weren't bad.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge