Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Wandering the Backroads of Lunenburg County

September 10th

Today I made glad the heart of an almost ninety-year-old, my Aunt Muriel.  I'd told her we could go anywhere in Lunenburg County her heart desired and accordingly we set off on a forty-mile trip around the backroads of the area in which we both grew up. 

 

We began on Victoria Rd in Bridgewater and headed up through Wileville to Newcombville and Bakersettlement.  We stopped at the Lutheran Church there at which my Aunt played the organ during her early 80ies.  We then took the Monk Rd across to Upper Branch, a mainly dirt road hemmed in by fast growing brush on both sides.  In Upper Branch we paused at the Union Church before taking the Frauzel Rd to view my Uncle Stephen's former home.  Next was yet another winding dirt road that led to Branch Lahave where we stopped to cook rice and stir-fry pork.  After that respite we drove down through Branch Lahave, Lower Branch—where Aunt Muriel raised her family—and on through Cooksville to cross the Lahave River and take her home.  In all that trip took four hours.  Aunt Muriel will be talking about the adventure of a lifetime for years to come.  Not the least of the wonders, of course, was the opportunity to see my home on wheels.  For those of you who don't know the territory and do not have access to a map of Nova Scotia we toured the central part of the County of Lunenburg making a circuit around Midville Branch without actually visiting it. 

 

I can only hope my E-mail programme and blogger arrange these entries in a logical chronicle order.  I am writing them as the events occur but will have to wait until I have Internet access to publish them. 

 

           

           

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge