Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Hello From Prrince Edward Island

September 4th

Made it to Prince Edward Island after an uneventful drive in heavy fog along the Saint Lawrence through the Eastern Townships of Quebec. The drive south to the New Brunswick Border was as hilly as remembered but it was a pleasant surprise to find Highway 2 from the NB border completely finished as a four-lane divided highway. Despite impressive earthworks filling in notorious swamps and spectacular rock cuts there are still some pretty grinding hills to climb. I paused to rest and have supper at the Lions Club Garden in Upper Gagetown New Brunswick.


Upper Gagetown Lion's Club Garden.jpg


In Quebec I still live in the expectation of some car removing my front bumper when they pass and pull back in traffic so close I can't see the backs of their vehicles through my windshield. At least the price of gas has reduced the chances of anyone passing me at 130 K/H. I also miss the old signs marking 45 gallon drums at the side of New Brunswick Roads for the dumping of garbage. The signs warning of unexploded ordinance in Gagetown are still prominent. I am not anxious to make any moose sightings at 110 K/H.

Driving the Confederation Bridge after dark was unremarkable save for the length of the crossing. There was barely any traffic. I was not, however, prepared to be welcomed by 5 RCMP cars with all lights flashing when I came off the bridge. After checking my licence they expressed disinterest in me which suited me just fine. After four-lane divided highways negotiating narrow country lanes in the dark was quite another experience and nothing could prepare me for the red dirt road with grass growing in the centre that met me when I reached Humphrey Lane with the forest closing in from either side and trees brushing the roof of my RV. The laneway is actually on the map; but barely.

Humphrey Lane.jpg

My friend at Brackley Beach is a gentleman farmer who specializes in high-bush blueberries. He not only harvests his berries but also weighs the production from each plant, takes a sugar count and even counts the berries.


Blueberries.jpg

When he's finished doing his calculations his wife makes blueberry jam. While on the island I visited the various National Parks including a pilgrimage to Green Gables where I joshed that red hair was not a condition of employment.

North Shore Near Cavendish.jpg

Got to attend one of the many Ceilidhs and wandered around Veseys Seeds.


Vesey's Seeds.jpg

Made the rounds of Charlottetown and shopped at the Saturday Farmer's Market there.



Before leaving the island spent a couple nights at Crystal Beach RV Park. Alas wave action has done for the crystal beach, Malpeque Bay smells, and the camping area is more swamp than meadow.


Malpeque Bay.jpg

The internet did work after a fashion. Two Great Blue Herons guarded the bay. Left the island in Daylight and stopped at a Presbyterian Churchyard to take photos of the Confederation Bridge.


Confederaton Bridge.jpg

Driving with an 8 ft high rig in crosswinds is a challenge and tends to give one a following. The roads to and from the bridge may be marked 90 and 100 Km/Hr but that speed is not particularly safe on those broken unstable roads. Made Halifax by Saturday afternoon after pausing at the Nova Scotia Welcome Centre to gather info—alas the piper has retired for the season.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge