Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Leaving Home

Today I'm once again taking the opportunity to capitalize on High-Speed Wi-Fi available inside my RV.  I'm 'camped' at Scotia Pines Campground near Truro, Nova Scotia heading West.  A glance at Toronto Weather makes me wonder at the wisdom of going further with any great haste.  Imagine my surprise upon discovering while I was engaged in accessing the Web at my last Wi-Fi site that the blighters turned off their internet service at 7:00 PM!  Hubbard's Campground is pleasant enough but its main attraction is Hubbard's Beach pictures of which I'll post when time allows.  Alas the season for swimming is past.  At present I'm parked with the proviso that I go register when the office opens between 7 and 8 PM.  The campground may be open but operations are definitely slowed down.  At present I've just accomplished the pumping of my 'black' and 'grey' water tanks, scrubbed my hands, and put up a batch of scalloped potatoes which are baking in my convection oven—one in a series of my continuing experiments with a new mode of baking. 

 

My time at Hubbard's was an opportunity to catch up and mark time while I waited to return to Bridgewater to visit Bluenose RV and have them do some work for me.  After they'd finished their work for me and I'd gotten some advice on solar panels I returned to visit my Aunt for another day of reminiscence.  We covered 2 centuries and half Lunenburg County and we didn't even get worn out.  Wednesday, September 24th I camped at Oakhill Pines—a campground that had a definite reputation going in.  I was promptly greeted with respect and care and got a site with no difficulties—they weren't exactly bursting at the seams.  The roadways through this campground are narrow, rough, and hemmed in by trees.  The location is at least peaceful and surrounded by towering trees.  Their centralized Wi-Fi was glacially slow but was available until I was forced to move to my campsite and hook up. 

 

Thursday morning I geared up early and drove back up to Halifax.  That evening we celebrated my Brother-in-Law's Birthday.  The next day he, my sister and I took one of their canoes to a local lake to pick wild cranberries on an island.  The expedition was as much for the trip itself as anything else but we managed to pick 20 pounds of berries as well.  That evening while my sister set up for church garage sale we went shopping.  Saturday Morning, the sale and while Haligonians grabbed bargoons Richard and I went for hike in Point Pleasant Park.  We stayed dry.  After meeting and greeting at the sale I took my hosts to Your Father's Moustache for lunch.  Unfortunately the place was loud and busy and the portion of fries that came with my dinner was in a word skimpy.  Oh well, it was good the last time we visited.  Sunday morning we churched—a meagre turnout I'd say and a dozen or so people sat down for pot luck lunch.  Since the storm delayed its arrival we went for an afternoon hike on the Bedford Trail:

 

http://www.evolutiontechnologies.ca/sra/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=37

 

Quite a feat but not exactly a natural area with a rifle range, several highways, and a city surrounding it. 

 

Last night I weathered Hurricane Kyle and this morning I took off for parts unknown.  My scalloped potatoes are almost done and it's almost time to go pay for my campsite.  I can only hope the traffic from Hwy 2 and 102 and the train whistles from freights on the mainline out of Nova Scotia are not too bothersome.  These features are not prominent in the site description. 

 

 

 

 

 

           

           

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge