Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Getting Some Salt in my Veins

September 14th

Several sources having warned me off staying at Oakhill Pines which is feet from my Aunt Muriels I drove miles along a winding scenic road almost to Lunenburg to camp two nights at a very basic hole in the wall called Little Lake. Chief among their deficiencies for me was the failure of their promised WiFi. Their sewage pump out station forces one to park on an angle to use it which does not allow for efficient voiding of the tanks. Life can get mundane!

After the second day drove to Bridgewater and finally found Bluenose RV. The guy who runs it is a distant cousin! Turns out my propane tank was not properly installed and needed adjustments to allow for a refill. The manager contacted Roadtrek and got permission to correct the issue at their expense and agreed to bill them directly. He also ordered parts for a few other little problems I am having. The upshot, however, was that a five minute fill-up took two and one-half hours. Leaving there I headed for King St and Victoria Rd and discovered an Internet Café offering 15 MB WiFi Internet for $2.00 a day plus tax. That's where I caught up on the world and published my last blog updates. Just before I left I opened 15 days' worth of comics for later reading.

Upon departing Bridgewater I took the Highway past Hebbville Academy the site of my High School days. The old building is gone apparently. Trusted my GPS to get me to Rissers Beach and it took me on a wild ride through backroads the shorted route to Petite Riviere. Just before I got there I was driving on what was essentially a one-lane woods road hemmed in by trees on both sides. Luckily no one else was crazy enough to be driving it. At Rissers Beach Provincial Park I was recommended a perfect site among tall firs backing onto the beach.

Sunset at Rissers Beach.jpg

I suppose I must be getting soft but high winds, crashing waves, and cool temperatures made swimming untenable. I did spend hours walking the shoreline, taking photographs, and meditating upon the sound of the waves lulling me to rest.

Dawn at Rissers Beach.jpg

Heaven on earth save that I'd imagined Heaven to be slightly warmer and less windy. I was thankful for the opportunity to run my onboard furnace. Alas the area I was camped in was booked for the weekend.

Crescent Beach.jpg

Took my own counsel on getting back to Bridgewater and packed up early Saturday Morning and headed out just after dawn stopping at Crescent Beach to have breakfast on the road. Arrived at the much vaunted Lahave Bakery an hour before it opened and chose to keep driving. Stopped at a picnic site opposite the old railway wharf in Bridgewater where a navy ship was anchored. Alas the railway is gone these days. Crossed the Old Bridge and took the road to Lunenburg.

Went into Sobeys in Lunenburg for some groceries and found Tancook Sauerkraut but not Turnipkraut. They still sell cod cheeks and tongues! No, I wasn't moved to buy any! They also sell small barrels of Solomon Gundy. Followed the signs to the Lunenburg Tourist Office and found a place to camp overlooking the Back Harbour. I suppose I can't hold the Lunenburg Board of Trade responsible for the steady mist that fell all day. After getting levelled I walked up to their office to sit and connect electronically with the outside world. Their Wifi only works if you are in or close to their office and is only 10% of the speed of that café in Bridgewater. Faster, mind you, than my connection in Oakville but plodding by comparison. Next campground I hope for high-speed wireless I can access from the privacy of my own RV.

After cooking a pot of potatoes and making potato salad I was finally ready for a walk around town. Lunenburg is built on a hill that slopes at a 45º angle. Buildings have sloping exteriors but some of them have clung there for over 250 years. I was surprised at the number of places still open on a Saturday night. Having just had a satisfying supper I did not stop anywhere though a festival with tent was taking place on the waterfront below and a flautist was playing to a meagre house at a local restaurant. Returned and walked up to recheck the web before settling in for the night with some reading.

Tomorrow, Sunday, I want to check out the restoration of St John's Anglican Church and attend church there or at Zion Lutheran. For once I may actually look for a place to have lunch in town. Sunday afternoon marks the annual service of remembrance for members of the Lunenburg Fishing Fleet. This is one of those rare years when there is a Service of Thanksgiving because no one was lost. This service is traditionally broadcast live on the local radio station and music is provided by a brass band. It will be followed by the annual blessing of the fleet. There is also a concert in the bandstand. Twould be nice if the weather was more cooperative!




Shared with Flock - The Social Web Browser
http://flock.com

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge